vgmST parameters

MSameti
Dear all

When working with vgmST function, how we choose starting values for space,
time anf joint vgm?
If we should choose them from sample stvariogram, why are they different in
different covariance models? I mean, initial values of space and time vgm in
separable model is different from sum-metric model. how we choose them?

Thanks alot.

Re: vgmST parameters

Dr. Benedikt Gräler
Admittedly, the choice of the initial parameter is not an easy task.
Different models combine the components in a different way. In the
separable model for instance, the spatial and temporal variogram are set
to a joint sill of 1 each where the sill of the entire variogram is a
separate parameter. Contrary, the metric covariance model only has a
single variogram model as input that represents the entire joint sill
where others are a product or the sum of two or three models (see [1]
for details). I wrote a shiny app that is available as source from [2]
and a link to a running instance is listed at [3]. Running the app
locally for one owns empirical variogram might help to identify the
right starting values.

HTH,

  Ben

[1]
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gstat/vignettes/spatio-temporal-kriging.pdf
[2] https://github.com/BenGraeler/copulatheque/tree/master/spacetime
[3] http://ben.graeler.org/shiny-apps/

On 25/09/2017 04:44, Mahsa Sameti wrote:

> Dear all
>
> When working with vgmST function, how we choose starting values for space,
> time anf joint vgm?
> If we should choose them from sample stvariogram, why are they different in
> different covariance models? I mean, initial values of space and time vgm in
> separable model is different from sum-metric model. how we choose them?
>
> Thanks alot.

Dr. Benedikt Gräler
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
48155 Muenster, Germany

E-Mail: [hidden email]
Fon: +49-(0)-251/396371-39
Fax: +49-(0)-251/396371-11

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849

b_graeler.vcf (458 bytes) Download Attachment