small data set for an example

Hodgess, Erin
Dear R Sig Geo People:

Does anyone have a small "real" data set with the longitude and latitude, along with a couple of data values per location that they would be willing to share, please?

I'm using simulated data but thought it would be nice to try with a regular set.

Thanks,
Erin

Erin M. Hodgess, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
University of Houston - Downtown
mailto: [hidden email]

Re: small data set for an example

Rich Shepard
On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, Hodgess, Erin wrote:

> Does anyone have a small "real" data set with the longitude and latitude,
> along with a couple of data values per location that they would be willing
> to share, please?

Erin,

   If you look at <http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html> you'll
find a compendium of packages for various spatial statistical analyses. Most
packages come with data sets. You'll definitely find something to your
liking there.

Rich

Re: small data set for an example

Michael Sumner-2
Try the quakes data in package datasets:

data(quakes)

head(quakes)
     lat   long depth mag stations
1 -20.42 181.62   562 4.8       41
2 -20.62 181.03   650 4.2       15
3 -26.00 184.10    42 5.4       43
4 -17.97 181.66   626 4.1       19
5 -20.42 181.96   649 4.0       11
6 -19.68 184.31   195 4.0       12

Cheers, Mike.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Hodgess, Erin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear R Sig Geo People:
>
> Does anyone have a small "real" data set with the longitude and latitude, along with a couple of data values per location that they would be willing to share, please?
>

> I'm using simulated data but thought it would be nice to try with a regular set.
>
> Thanks,
> Erin
>
> Erin M. Hodgess, PhD
> Associate Professor
> Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
> University of Houston - Downtown
> mailto: [hidden email]

Michael Sumner
Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies, University of Tasmania
Hobart, Australia
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: small data set for an example

Barry Rowlingson
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Hodgess, Erin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear R Sig Geo People:
>
> Does anyone have a small "real" data set with the longitude and latitude, along with a couple of data values per location that they would be willing to share, please?
>

> I'm using simulated data but thought it would be nice to try with a regular set.

 If you want something that's literally up-to-the-minute then try the
USGS real-time earthquake data, available in CSV format so you can
just read.csv-it directly. Various ones listed here:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/catalogs/

 > require(sp)
 > url="http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/catalogs/eqs1day-M1.txt"
 > q=read.csv(url)
 > coordinates(q)=~Lon+Lat
 > plot(q)

you get the depth and magnitude of the quake, as well as the "NST" but
I don't know what that is...

Barry

Re: small data set for an example

Greg Snow-2
In the TeachingDemos package there are 3 datasets 'ccc', 'h2h', and 'towork' which are real, not overly large (but you can decide if they are small or not) which contain lat, long, and other variables.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center

Juan Tomas Sayago
Sorry for cross posting
You can check also the asdarbook website or the cran of different packages they have really nice data. Juan