Quantcast

maptools and rgeos

Ben Madin
G'day all,

Please excuse my not finding this, but having just upgraded maptools, there appears to be some issue over gpclib - not looking for trouble, I installed rgeos from r-forge, and it seems to be loadable, but loading maptools I still get the following message.

> library(rgeos)
GEOS runtime version: 3.2.0-CAPI-1.6.0
> library(maptools)

        Note: polygon geometry computations in maptools
  depend on the package gpclib, which has a
  restricted licence. It is disabled by default;
  to enable gpclib, type gpclibPermit()

Checking rgeos availability as gpclib substitute:
FALSE

Have I missed something on installation?(I'm using William Kyngesbury's GEOS Frameworks)

cheers

Ben

sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.1 Patched (2010-02-01 r51089)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/C/C/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] maptools_0.7-34 lattice_0.18-3  foreign_0.8-40  rgeos_0.0-9     sp_0.9-62

[1] grid_2.10.1  tools_2.10.1

Re: maptools and rgeos

On Thu, 6 May 2010, Ben Madin wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> Please excuse my not finding this, but having just upgraded maptools,
> there appears to be some issue over gpclib - not looking for trouble, I
> installed rgeos from r-forge, and it seems to be loadable, but loading
> maptools I still get the following message.
>
>> library(rgeos)
> GEOS runtime version: 3.2.0-CAPI-1.6.0
>> library(maptools)
>
> Note: polygon geometry computations in maptools
> depend on the package gpclib, which has a
> restricted licence. It is disabled by default;
> to enable gpclib, type gpclibPermit()
>
> Checking rgeos availability as gpclib substitute:
> FALSE
>>

> Have I missed something on installation?(I'm using William Kyngesbury's
> GEOS Frameworks)

No, thanks for taking this up, and for attention to detail. Both maptools
and spatstat now warn explicitly about the license problems with gpclib.
We had hoped to have rgeos ready by now, but interfacing GEOS has turned
out to be harder than anticipated.

The maptools development code had been modified to use rgeos if available
- by a call to require(), and the inclusion of rgeos in the Suggests:
field in the package metadata. Before rgeos had been advanced to release
status, a serious problem was spotted (by Brian Ripley) in the maptools C
code for reading GSHHS files, triggering a premature release. In this
premature release, as can be seen in the ChangeLog:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/maptools/ChangeLog

rgeos was hidden, and all links were commented out. Until rgeos is ready
for returning to Suggests: status, use of the "drop in" rgeos functions
has to be manual, so instead of say unionSpatialPolygons() in maptools,
use unionSpatialPolygonsGEOS() in rgeos (and look at the examples on the
help page, trying them out to see that the rounding problem has now been
resolved).

R has (once again) had deserved success in the Google Summer of Coding,
and rgeos is one of the projects that has been adopted. Some of the
original difficulties have now been resolved, and I hope that the package
will be greatly improved compared with my "muddling through" first cut at
the GEOS interface.

Hope this clarifies things a little,

Roger

> cheers
>
> Ben
>

> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.10.1 Patched (2010-02-01 r51089)
> x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0
>
> locale:
> [1] en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/C/C/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] maptools_0.7-34 lattice_0.18-3  foreign_0.8-40  rgeos_0.0-9     sp_0.9-62

> [1] grid_2.10.1  tools_2.10.1

e-mail: [hidden email]

Economic Geography Section
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration

Re: maptools and rgeos

Ben Madin
Thanks Roger,

Congratulations on the GSOC project - I had read about it, but my antipodean mind-set (Summer is over down here!) meant I thought it might be well underway or nearly over already!

cheers

Ben

On 06/05/2010, at 16:08 , Roger Bivand wrote:

> [...]
>
> Hope this clarifies things a little,
>
> Roger
>

>> cheers
>>
>> Ben
>>

>> sessionInfo()
>> R version 2.10.1 Patched (2010-02-01 r51089)
>> x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0
>>
>> locale:
>> [1] en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/C/C/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8
>>
>> attached base packages:
>> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>>
>> other attached packages:
>> [1] maptools_0.7-34 lattice_0.18-3  foreign_0.8-40  rgeos_0.0-9     sp_0.9-62

>> [1] grid_2.10.1  tools_2.10.1

> Economic Geography Section, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of
> Economics and Business Administration, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen,
> Norway. voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43

Re: maptools and rgeos

edzer
Great to hear a GSOC project will work on this!

http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2010/rundel/t127052456783

On 05/06/2010 10:27 AM, Ben Madin wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Hope this clarifies things a little,
>>
>> Roger
>>

>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

>>> sessionInfo()
>>> R version 2.10.1 Patched (2010-02-01 r51089)
>>> x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0
>>>
>>> locale:
>>> [1] en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8/C/C/en_AU.UTF-8/en_AU.UTF-8
>>>
>>> attached base packages:
>>> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>>>
>>> other attached packages:
>>> [1] maptools_0.7-34 lattice_0.18-3  foreign_0.8-40  rgeos_0.0-9     sp_0.9-62

>>> [1] grid_2.10.1  tools_2.10.1

>> Roger Bivand
>> Economic Geography Section, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of
>> Economics and Business Administration, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen,
>> Norway. voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43

8333081, Fax: +49 251 8339763  http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de
http://www.52north.org/geostatistics      [hidden email]

Re: maptools and rgeos

andrew.yu
I try to install the Rgeos. However, it gives me the following:

> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In unzip(zipname, exdir = dest) : error 1 in extracting from zip file
2: In gzfile(file, "r") :
  cannot open compressed file 'rgeos_0.0-10.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION', probable reason 'No such file or directory'

Could anybody help me?

Re: maptools and rgeos

Ben Madin
I confess I'm not even familiar with the command you have shown below?

This package is still in early development, and you would need to provide a little more information about the environment you are trying to install in (sessionInfo() would be a good start). Your name might also help.

Also, I'm not one of the developers, so you are going to be better posting to the list. I don't currently have it installed on my current version of R (now 2.11).

Good luck

Ben