localmoran.sad() in SPDEP

Danlin Yu-2
Dear list members:

    I was using the function localmoran.sad() in SPDEP package. Since I am
interested in the calculation of the star shaped weight list (Vi) of each
location, I set the save.Vi = TRUE. However, after I obtained the
saddlepoing approximated local Moran's I object (say, locmsad), the result
I got from using locmsad[[1]]$Vi is always "NULL". Does anybody have any
idea what I have done wrong? Thanks in advance.

    Sincerely,
    Danlin Yu, Ph.D. Candidate
    Department of Geography
    University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
    Tel: (414)229-5818
    Fax: (414)229-3981
    Email: danlinyu at uwm.edu

localmoran.sad() in SPDEP

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Danlin Yu wrote:

> Dear list members:
>
>     I was using the function localmoran.sad() in SPDEP package. Since I am
> interested in the calculation of the star shaped weight list (Vi) of each
> location, I set the save.Vi = TRUE. However, after I obtained the
> saddlepoing approximated local Moran's I object (say, locmsad), the result
> I got from using locmsad[[1]]$Vi is always "NULL". Does anybody have any
> idea what I have done wrong? Thanks in advance.

There is a bug in the code. It will be removed in the next update. For now
edit the code in localmoran.sad() (in mtlocalmoran.R in the source
package, line 105) or a local copy (myfun <- edit(localmoran.sad)):

is: if (save.Vi) {Vi = Vi}

should be: Vi = if(save.Vi) Vi else NULL

which returns Vi if save.Vi is TRUE.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no