how to call latest maptools' internal functions on R fo win on XP

how to call latest maptools' internal functions on R fo win on XP

hi_ono2001
Hello, Professor Bivand.

 Last year, I've asked how to call  maptools' internal functions, read.dbf
and write.dbf on R for Win.

 A couple months ago, unfortunately my PC's HDD was crushed and your mails
were gone.

 Could you tell me how to do this if possible?

 Best regards.

how to call latest maptools' internal functions on R fowin on XP

hi_ono2001
Sorry, I've remembered using namespace like this,
"maptools:::dbf.read("filename")".

>  Last year, I've asked how to call  maptools' internal functions, read.dbf
> and write.dbf on R for Win.
>
>  A couple months ago, unfortunately my PC's HDD was crushed and your mails
> were gone.
>
>  Could you tell me how to do this if possible?

R and spatial data

Michael Sumner
Hello, I am slowly coming up to speed with S4 classes and the approach
to spatial data in sp and pixmap.  I see the comments in
"Class-SpatialData.R" alluding to conversion between pixmap and
SpatialDataGrid, and I'm wondering what the master plans (if any)
are.  Is pixmap intended to extend class SpatialData?  Are there
bigger ideas afoot?  I'm thinking along the lines of Roger Bivand's
note from

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:02:49 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [R-sig-Geo] Where is the Changelog of maptools?

about the intentions to include read shapefiles into an S4 class.  Is there
something I'm missing in terms of documented goals and plans?

Are there plans to add coordinate system metadata (i.e. CRS) to
pixmap?

I'm interested in learning more (and hopefully helping develop) the spatial
capability in R.  I have a particular (side) interest in running Manifold GIS
from R and vice versa, and I have some simple and ad hoc 'tight' and also
'loose' couplings between them.  See

This is an example of running Manifold directly from R, I transfer a
matrix from R to a surface in Manifold, with examples of setting the
projection and data type:
http://www.georeference.org/Forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=876&posts=1#M3655

This uses basic R export and Manifold scripting to pass matrix / surface data
with (limited for now) metadata:

http://www.georeference.org/Forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=789&posts=4

They are very ad hoc but I can see a lot of potential (I need to learn fast).

I'm still very new to the CVS concept, and even trawling package
sources for learning R code, so I won't be surprised if I've missed a lot
and am asking silly questions.

Cheers, Mike.

Michael Sumner - PhD. candidate
Maths and Physics (ACE CRC & IASOS) and Zoology (AWRU)
University of Tasmania
Private Bag 77, Hobart, Tas 7001, Australia
Phone: 6226 1752

R tips
http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/R/Rtips.html

Matlab has two problems: 1) it's expensive, and 2) it costs a lot:

http://www.dspguru.com/sw/opendsp/mathclo2.htm

Geometry in tables - well-known binary?

Michael Sumner
Hello, does anyone know about "storing geometry in tables" using binary
record types?  Manifold GIS 6.00 http://www.manifold.net supports the
storage of drawing object (points, lines and areas) coordinates in tables -
using a binary "Geometry" type.  Geometry can be stored in databases (or
other tables supporting the binary Geom format such as .mdb).

These binary records can be accesed by SQL queries within Manifold

I.e. SELECT Geom(ID) AS [Geom], [Drawing].* FROM [Drawing];  results in
a table like:
<geom, area, branches: 1, coords: 10> 6 Area 1 10 -156.579937304075

These drawing objects can be reconstructed simply by importing or linking
to the table.
This makes Manifold a very powerful tool for manipulating vector data on
the fly.

Apparently there are "Geometry (SHP)" and "Geometry (WKB)" (well-known binary)
for ESRI geodatabases and OpenGIS respectively.  Does anyone know how to read
such binary records using generic tools, like R?

I can already read table data from Manifold projects using RODBC, extending
this with
binary "Geometry in tables" could be very powerful.