format. adm

Mauricio Mardones Inostroza
Dear group

Do you know some routine to transform .adm files from a Garmin echo sounder
to a .txt or .csv?

I hope you can help me

Regards

--

*Mauricio Mardones Inostroza*

Investigador Departamento Evaluación de Recursos
Instituto de Fomento Pesquero - IFOP
Valparaíso - Chile
+56-32-21514 <callto:+56-32-2151424>42

www.ifop.cl

--
*Certificación SO 9001/2008*: Sistema de Datos Biológico-Pesqueros (Arica,
Iquique, Coquimbo, Valparaíso, San Antonio, Talcahuano y Calbuco,

Re: format. adm

Barry Rowlingson
Do you have a sample file you could share? I've tried a quick internet
search, and nothing sticks out.

There seems to have been one effort about seven years ago that died out:

http://gpsbabel.2324879.n4.nabble.com/Garmin-ADM-file-format-td3588.html

If you have a typical file and you know roughly what is in it (tracks,
waypoints, etc) then we might be able to write a decoder.

Barry

[hidden email]>:

> Dear group
>
> Do you know some routine to transform .adm files from a Garmin echo sounder
> to a .txt or .csv?
>
> I hope you can help me
>
> Regards
>
> --
>
> *Mauricio Mardones Inostroza*
>
> Investigador Departamento Evaluación de Recursos
> Instituto de Fomento Pesquero - IFOP
> Valparaíso - Chile
> +56-32-21514 <callto:+56-32-2151424>42
>
> www.ifop.cl
>
> --
> *Certificación SO 9001/2008*: Sistema de Datos Biológico-Pesqueros (Arica,
> Iquique, Coquimbo, Valparaíso, San Antonio, Talcahuano y Calbuco,
> pesquerías industriales y artesanales)

Re: format. adm

Barry Rowlingson
There's a converter on sourceforge that claims it can convert adm to gpx,
and you can read gpx with rgdal:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/adm2gpx/

[hidden email]>:

> Dear group
>
> Do you know some routine to transform .adm files from a Garmin echo sounder
> to a .txt or .csv?
>
> I hope you can help me
>
> Regards
>
> --
>
> *Mauricio Mardones Inostroza*
>
> Investigador Departamento Evaluación de Recursos
> Instituto de Fomento Pesquero - IFOP
> Valparaíso - Chile
> +56-32-21514 <callto:+56-32-2151424>42
>
> www.ifop.cl
>
> --
> *Certificación SO 9001/2008*: Sistema de Datos Biológico-Pesqueros (Arica,
> Iquique, Coquimbo, Valparaíso, San Antonio, Talcahuano y Calbuco,
> pesquerías industriales y artesanales)

Re: format. adm

Barry Rowlingson
Just bringing this back on-list after some off-list discussion in case
anyone reads this in the future and wonders what happened..

 * The adm2gpx converter from sourceforge seems to be the only open-source
code for converting Garmin's ADM format to anything else.

 * On Mauricio's data it failed badly to convert the waypoints (producing
nonsense waypoints) but produced some sensible track points, but every few
hundred track points were interrupted by about 20 nonsense points again,
all in the resulting GPX file.

 * The GPX failed to load into QGIS or R since GDAL/OGR took a strong
dislike to the broken waypoints.

 * I edited the GPX manually and deleted the waypoints. Now it would load,
but it still had the nonsense track points causing the track to scatter all
over the world.

 * Further text editing to remove the nonsense track points resulted in a
reasonable looking track but with big gaps where the nonsense points were,
possibly these were misencoded and real data has been removed.

In conclusion, there's no way to read Garmin ADM files into R, and no good
way to convert them to something that can - at least not with open source
tools. Other web documents trying to describe the ADM format seem to say it
is a bit hard to understand with variants changing substantial parts of the
structure - I suspect something like that has caused the problematic
conversion experienced.

Barry