Quantcast

converting lat long points to UTM

Arnold Salvacion
Dear Colleagues,
Good day!
I have a data points collected using GPS..It was on latitude and longitude coordinate system ..I wonder if there's any function in R where I could convert those GPS data points to UTM (e.g. UTM Zone 51N)?
Thanks in advance
Arnold

Re: converting lat long points to UTM

Michael Sumner-2
The rgdal package has the project() function for direct conversion
to/from longlat (WGS84) - via the PROJ.4 library, via GDAL - all
embedded in the package.

library(rgdal)
xy <- cbind(c(118, 119), c(10, 50))
project(xy, "+proj=utm +zone=51 ellps=WGS84")
          [,1]    [,2]
[1,] -48636.65 1109577
[2,] 213372.05 5546301

Be aware that that is a very minimal "PROJ.4" string (metres is
assumed), and that "+proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84" is the assumed base
coordinate system.

FYI, in sp, there is spTransform() which can wrap the required
back-projection and perform reprojections for more complicated data
sets.

See ?project and ?spTransform

Cheers, Mike.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Arnold Salvacion
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> Good day!
> I have a data points collected using GPS..It was on latitude and longitude coordinate system ..I wonder if there's any function in R where I could convert those GPS data points to UTM (e.g. UTM Zone 51N)?
> Thanks in advance
> Arnold

Michael Sumner
Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies, University of Tasmania
Hobart, Australia
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: converting lat long points to UTM

Michael Sumner-2
I just noticed that proj4 package has been updated after several years of
stasis, this might be helpful if rgdal is overkill for you:

library(proj4)

ptransform(cbind(xy)/180*pi, "+proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84", "+proj=utm
+zone=51 +ellps=WGS84")
          [,1]    [,2] [,3]
[1,] -48636.65 1109577    0
[2,] 213372.05 5546301    0

Note that the input coordinates are expected to be in radians - which is how
PROJ.4 operates natively as I understand.

The mapproj package is another old one that has been recently updated,
another option that might be of use.

Cheers, Mike.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Arnold Salvacion <[hidden email]

--
Michael Sumner
Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies, University of Tasmania
Hobart, Australia
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: converting lat long points to UTM

Jan Hackenberg
Hi Arnold
If i remember right, its in the Rgdal package. You need the librariy gdal in
your system, this gave me some problems on Ubuntu Linux. Then what you are
looking for is something like :
points <- spTransform(points, CRS = ("+proj=longlat")
remember that you have to give the right proj4string to your
spatialDataPoints before.
Hope this is right, but otherwise i will be corrected i am sure ;)
Regards
Jan

2011/3/1 Arnold Salvacion <[hidden email]>

> Dear Colleagues,
> Good day!
> I have a data points collected using GPS..It was on latitude and longitude
> coordinate system ..I wonder if there's any function in R where I could
> convert those GPS data points to UTM (e.g. UTM Zone 51N)?
> Thanks in advance
> Arnold

Re: converting lat long points to UTM

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini-2
if you want to use Lat/Long data, you may also try the 'project'
function in the 'proj4' package:

     library(proj4)

     ## this is just very simple, because we don't want to depend on
     ## maps package, so we can't show more useful stuff..

     data(state)

     s <- project(state.center, "+proj=merc", degrees=TRUE)

     plot(s, type='n', asp=1)
     text(s,, state.abb)

(taken from '?project')

Kinds,

Mauricio

--
Linux user #454569 -- Ubuntu user #17469