coding

Sam R. Smith
Name: not available

coding

Danlin Yu-2
Sam:

    The best way of starting to code in R is to read the actual R
functions. In the case of SPDEP, you can simply type the name of a
function (for instance, errorsarlm, moran, etc.) in the R interface. The
code will show, you can either read them on the screen or print them out
for your convenience - at least, that's how I started to code in R. Wish
this helps.

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Sam R. Smith wrote:

> Hi there,
> I wonder where to start coding and contribute to SPDEP function.
> I have statistics and planning background. Also, I know VB and some R language.
> Is there any sample code I can follow? I really want to see something coded in VB or R.
> Thanks,
> Sam R. Smith

    Sincerely,
    Danlin Yu

----------------------------------
Lecturer, Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Geography
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
Tel: (414)229-3943
Fax: (414)229-3981
Email: danlinyu at uwm.edu

coding

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Sam R. Smith wrote:

> Hi there, I wonder where to start coding and contribute to SPDEP
> function. I have statistics and planning background. Also, I know VB and
> some R language. Is there any sample code I can follow? I really want to
> see something coded in VB or R.

Well, at the moment I run the CVS archive for spdep locally, but at the
workshop at Lancaster last week, we talked through putting the CVS archive
on sourceforge, so that development could be opened up a bit more than it
is now - now contributors email me suggestions, and I commit after
reviewing.

The source code is available from CRAN too, so this has worked quite well.
There are two areas which need advancing now, and help will be useful in
either: adapting spdep to use the new S4 classes provided in the
forthcoming sp package, including adapting the neighbour and weights
classes from S3 to S4 and adding rectangular weights (the weights
relations between in-set and out-of-set regions when subsetting), and the
incorporation of CAR models.

With regard to VB, the ArcGIS link to R is illustrated at:

http://perso.univ-lr.fr/csaintje/Recherche/RArcgis/index.html

hosted by Christophe Saint-Jean; and an interesting example:

http://www.gisvet.org/Documents/GisVet04/RegularPapers/Tait.pdf

Of course there are other Windows VB clients that can run R as a server,
like Excel, but I'm not aware of examples doing spatial work.

I hope these will give you some ideas,

Roger Bivand

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no