bottom area of a lake calculation

sophie.leblanc
I would like to calculate the bottom area of a lake. I have already used marmap to calculate projected area, i.e. surface area.<br>
But i have not found anything to calculate a non projected area. I have the coordinates of points (longitude, latitude and depth) I can convert them into xyz. But then I don't know how to calculate the surface I have found polygonal area calculation but I have a 3D object, a polyheron and I think I can not use polygonal area.<br>
Do you have any idea? do you know an R package that could help?<br>
thanks,<br>
Sophie Leblanc<br>

Re: bottom area of a lake calculation

Thomas Adams-2
Sophie,

I think a reasonable approximation might be obtained:

(1) if you were to calculate the slope at each grid point using
r.slope.aspect
(2) use r.mapcalc to calculate A/cos(slope), where A is the pixel projected
area (e.g., 100mx100m = 10000 m^2) -- lat-long coordinates will not work.

Consequently, if the slope were approximately 0, cos(slope) approaches 1
and A/cos(slope) = A; as slope approaches 90 deg, cos(slope) becomes very
small, so A becomes very large. This works where the slope direction is
orthogonal to a pixel edge, so a correction to account for other slope
directions may be needed. But, with smaller grids, the error may be
negligible for you...

Tom

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 4:55 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> font-size:12px">‌</span>Dear all,<br>
> I would like to calculate the bottom area of a lake. I have already used
> marmap to calculate projected area, i.e. surface area.<br>
> But i have not found anything to calculate a non projected area. I have
> the coordinates of points (longitude, latitude and depth) I can convert
> them into xyz. But then I don't know how to calculate the surface I have
> found polygonal area calculation but I have a 3D object, a polyheron and I
> think I can not use polygonal area.<br>
> Do you have any idea? do you know an R package that could help?<br>
> thanks,<br>
> Sophie Leblanc<br>
> <!-- +Signature --><font size="2"><em><a href="http://sophieleblanc6.
> <!-- -Signature -->

Re: bottom area of a lake calculation

Thomas Adams-2
Sophie,

My apologies, I was thinking in terms of using GRASS GIS... but the idea is
the same

Tom

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Thomas Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sophie,
>
> I think a reasonable approximation might be obtained:
>
> (1) if you were to calculate the slope at each grid point using
> r.slope.aspect
> (2) use r.mapcalc to calculate A/cos(slope), where A is the pixel
> projected area (e.g., 100mx100m = 10000 m^2) -- lat-long coordinates will
> not work.
>
> Consequently, if the slope were approximately 0, cos(slope) approaches 1
> and A/cos(slope) = A; as slope approaches 90 deg, cos(slope) becomes very
> small, so A becomes very large. This works where the slope direction is
> orthogonal to a pixel edge, so a correction to account for other slope
> directions may be needed. But, with smaller grids, the error may be
> negligible for you...
>
> Tom
>

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 4:55 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> font-size:12px">‌</span>Dear all,<br>
>> I would like to calculate the bottom area of a lake. I have already used
>> marmap to calculate projected area, i.e. surface area.<br>
>> But i have not found anything to calculate a non projected area. I have
>> the coordinates of points (longitude, latitude and depth) I can convert
>> them into xyz. But then I don't know how to calculate the surface I have
>> found polygonal area calculation but I have a 3D object, a polyheron and I
>> think I can not use polygonal area.<br>
>> Do you have any idea? do you know an R package that could help?<br>
>> thanks,<br>
>> Sophie Leblanc<br>
>> <!-- +Signature --><font size="2"><em><a href="http://sophieleblanc6.wi
>> <!-- -Signature -->

Re: bottom area of a lake calculation

Thomas Adams-2
Hello Sophie,

Yes, what you show was my understanding. I'm sure what you want to do can be done in R, but I'm not sure what packages to use. For doing such a thing, I use GRASS GIS. Regardless, I think you should re-project your data from latitude-longitude to Albers Equal Area or Lambert Conic Conformal, etc., that is area preserving. Eventually, you need to do this to get an area anyhow.

An additional step would be to reproject, then spatially interpolate the point locations you have in your spreadsheet into a grid to Albers Equal Area or Lambert Conic Conformal, etc.

I could take a stab at this and show you...

Regards,
Tom

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 10:39 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Tom,

thanks for your reply.
Just to be sure I have explain correctly.
With marmap I can get the green area but I also want to calculate the red one.
I have attached the kind of data I have.

I do not have any GIS software.
I wanted to convert my spherical coordinate to cartesian ones with

x = radius * cos(latitude) * cos(longitude)
y = radius * cos(latitude) * sin(longitude)
z = radius * sin(latitude)
radius= earth_radius-depth : not fully sure...
Do you think it is correct?

The slope is not the same everywhere around the lake.
Is it possible to calculate area with your first explanations?
what R package should I use?

thanks,
Sophie Leblanc

http://sophieleblanc6.wix.com/photographie
[...]