Worked out example of spatiotemporal interpolation of daily precipitation?

Worked out example of spatiotemporal interpolation of daily precipitation?

Tomislav Hengl-5

We are looking for a worked out example of spatiotemporal interpolation
(using spatiotemporal kriging / regression-kriging or universal kriging)
of daily precipitation in R. Daily precipitation is a zero-inflated
variable so using some model based geostatistical solution
(https://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v063i12/v63i12.pdf) is probably
not an option?

We would like to compare geostatistical interpolation with the spacetime RF:

https://github.com/thengl/GeoMLA#prediction-of-spatio-temporal-variable

thank you,

T. Hengl

Re: Worked out example of spatiotemporal interpolation of daily precipitation?

Thierry Onkelinx
Dear Tomislav,

Blangiardo and Cameletti (2015) Spatial and Spatio-temporal Bayesian
Models with R - INLA models the Parana state rainfall data (chapter
8). See https://sites.google.com/a/r-inla.org/stbook/ Not kriging but
maybe useful for you.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE
AND FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
[hidden email]
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no
more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be
able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data. ~ John Tukey
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

> We are looking for a worked out example of spatiotemporal interpolation
> (using spatiotemporal kriging / regression-kriging or universal kriging) of
> daily precipitation in R. Daily precipitation is a zero-inflated variable so
> using some model based geostatistical solution
> (https://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v063i12/v63i12.pdf) is probably not
> an option?
>
> We would like to compare geostatistical interpolation with the spacetime RF:
>
> https://github.com/thengl/GeoMLA#prediction-of-spatio-temporal-variable
>
> thank you,
>
> T. Hengl
> https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9921-5129

Re: Worked out example of spatiotemporal interpolation of daily precipitation?

Virgilio Gómez-Rubio
Hi,

> Blangiardo and Cameletti (2015) Spatial and Spatio-temporal Bayesian
> Models with R - INLA models the Parana state rainfall data (chapter
> 8). See https://sites.google.com/a/r-inla.org/stbook/ Not kriging but
> maybe useful for you.

This is also modeled in the SPDE tutorial http://www.r-inla.org/examples/tutorials/spde-tutorial . Also, I have fitted a space-time model using INLA for the Ireland wind data described in the spacetime vignette. Not really what you want, but you can change the likelihood to a zero-inflated one (INLA provides several of them) if that is what you want…

Best,

Virgilio