WPS client implementation in R

Barry Rowlingson
I'm wondering what's the state of WPS (Web Processing Service) client
implementations in R? All I can find are the abstract of a 2008 UseR! talk:

https://www.r-project.org/conferences/useR-2008/abstracts/Henneboehl+Pebesma.pdf

and what looks like code designed to call a custom WPS server in the GSIF
package:

https://github.com/cran/GSIF/blob/master/R/WPSworldgrids.R

for a server that doesn't seem to work at the moment (wps.worldgrids.org).

Any advance on those?

Barry

Re: WPS client implementation in R

Dr. Benedikt Gräler
Dear Barry,

I am not quite sure what you are targetting at:
i) a solution to expose (geo) R functionality as a WPS on the web or
ii) a R package to ease the access to an exposed WPS.

Regarding i), there is WPS4R (as a follow-up on the UseR! abstract;
available as part of the 52°North WPS bundle [1]) where annotated R
scripts can automatically be wrapped in a WPS process and exposed on the
web (a tutorial can be found here [2]).

In terms of ii), I am not aware of any existing solution, but would be
interested to contribute; possibly also as a GSoC project (I'll sketch
the idea on the 52N's GSoC 2018 project page [3]).

Cheers,

  Ben

[1] https://wiki.52north.org/Geostatistics/WPS4R
[2]
https://wiki.52north.org/Geoprocessing/GeoprocessingTutorials#WPS4R_tutorials
[3] https://wiki.52north.org/Projects/GSoC2018ProjectIdeas

On 20/02/2018 11:26, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> I'm wondering what's the state of WPS (Web Processing Service) client
> implementations in R? All I can find are the abstract of a 2008 UseR! talk:
>
> https://www.r-project.org/conferences/useR-2008/abstracts/Henneboehl+Pebesma.pdf
>
> and what looks like code designed to call a custom WPS server in the GSIF
> package:
>
> https://github.com/cran/GSIF/blob/master/R/WPSworldgrids.R
>
> for a server that doesn't seem to work at the moment (wps.worldgrids.org).
>
> Any advance on those?
>
> Barry

Dr. Benedikt Gräler
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
48155 Muenster, Germany

E-Mail: [hidden email]
Fon: +49-(0)-251/396371-39
Fax: +49-(0)-251/396371-11

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849

b_graeler.vcf (458 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: WPS client implementation in R

Barry Rowlingson
On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Dr. Benedikt Gräler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Barry,
>
> I am not quite sure what you are targetting at:
> i) a solution to expose (geo) R functionality as a WPS on the web or
> ii) a R package to ease the access to an exposed WPS.
>
> Regarding i), there is WPS4R (as a follow-up on the UseR! abstract;
> available as part of the 52°North WPS bundle [1]) where annotated R scripts
> can automatically be wrapped in a WPS process and exposed on the web (a
> tutorial can be found here [2]).
>
> In terms of ii), I am not aware of any existing solution, but would be
> interested to contribute; possibly also as a GSoC project (I'll sketch the
> idea on the 52N's GSoC 2018 project page [3]).

I'm currently more interested in a WPS client for R, to call WPS services.

I think if I wanted to implement a WPS service in R I'd probably hook into
pywps, but that's just my python bias against a java solution! I admit the
52N solution looks pretty neat (annotate an R script and there you have it).

thanks

Barry

Re: WPS client implementation in R

Javier Martínez-López
You can try OpenCPU (https://www.opencpu.org/). It works great!

Best,

Javier

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 4:31 PM, Barry Rowlingson <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 3:13 PM, Dr. Benedikt Gräler <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear Barry,
> >
> > I am not quite sure what you are targetting at:
> > i) a solution to expose (geo) R functionality as a WPS on the web or
> > ii) a R package to ease the access to an exposed WPS.
> >
> > Regarding i), there is WPS4R (as a follow-up on the UseR! abstract;
> > available as part of the 52°North WPS bundle [1]) where annotated R
> scripts
> > can automatically be wrapped in a WPS process and exposed on the web (a
> > tutorial can be found here [2]).
> >
> > In terms of ii), I am not aware of any existing solution, but would be
> > interested to contribute; possibly also as a GSoC project (I'll sketch
> the
> > idea on the 52N's GSoC 2018 project page [3]).
> >

> I'm currently more interested in a WPS client for R, to call WPS services.
>
> I think if I wanted to implement a WPS service in R I'd probably hook into
> pywps, but that's just my python bias against a java solution! I admit the
> 52N solution looks pretty neat (annotate an R script and there you have
> it).
>
> thanks
>
> Barry

Re: WPS client implementation in R

Barry Rowlingson
On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Javier Martínez-López <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can try OpenCPU (https://www.opencpu.org/). It works great!

I don't see anything WPS there. The advantage of implementing a WPS is that
it is then available to anything supporting the WPS standard, so you could
access your analysis from QGIS, for example.

 If you implemented an analysis via some generic REST API you'd still have
to write some client code to interpret the outputs.

Barry

Re: WPS client implementation in R

Vijay Lulla
Is WPS like Open Sound Control (OSC)?

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:30 AM, Barry Rowlingson <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Javier Martínez-López <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You can try OpenCPU (https://www.opencpu.org/). It works great!
> >

> I don't see anything WPS there. The advantage of implementing a WPS is that
> it is then available to anything supporting the WPS standard, so you could
> access your analysis from QGIS, for example.
>
>  If you implemented an analysis via some generic REST API you'd still have
> to write some client code to interpret the outputs.
>
> Barry

Vijay Lulla, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor,
Dept. of Geography, IUPUI
425 University Blvd, CA-207C.
Indianapolis, IN-46202
[hidden email]

<http://vijaylulla.com>
http://vijaylulla.com

Re: WPS client implementation in R

Dr. Benedikt Gräler
WPS is the acronym of the Web Processing Service - an OGC standard [1]
that specifies how some spatial process (adding two layers, buffering,
..., run-off models, ..., complex atmospheric models, ..., processes
running on large data sets, ...) can be wrapped in a server-side
service. The standard basically specifies how in- and output values are
submitted and received - pretty much like a function definition. A well
designed WPS can then be used with WPS clients (e.g. QGIS, ArcGIS, ...),
but also via a web browser [2,3], to perform the pre-defined process on
your data.

Hope that clarifies the previous discussions,

  Ben

[1] http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/wps
[2] http://geoprocessing.demo.52north.org:8080/wps-js-client/
[3] HowTo for [2]:
https://wiki.52north.org/Projects/SimpleQuakeMapAlgorithm

On 21/02/2018 00:55, Vijay Lulla wrote:

> Is WPS like Open Sound Control (OSC)?
>
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:30 AM, Barry Rowlingson <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Javier Martínez-López <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> You can try OpenCPU (https://www.opencpu.org/). It works great!
>>>

>> I don't see anything WPS there. The advantage of implementing a WPS is that
>> it is then available to anything supporting the WPS standard, so you could
>> access your analysis from QGIS, for example.
>>
>>   If you implemented an analysis via some generic REST API you'd still have
>> to write some client code to interpret the outputs.
>>
>> Barry
>>
>>          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Dr. Benedikt Gräler
52°North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
Martin-Luther-King-Weg 24
48155 Muenster, Germany

E-Mail: [hidden email]
Fon: +49-(0)-251/396371-39
Fax: +49-(0)-251/396371-11

http://52north.org/
Twitter: @FiveTwoN

General Managers: Dr. Albert Remke, Dr. Andreas Wytzisk
Local Court Muenster HRB 10849

b_graeler.vcf (458 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: WPS client implementation in R

Javier Martínez-López
Thank you for the explanation! Best, Javier

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Dr. Benedikt Gräler <[hidden email]