Try to write GeoTiff with rgdal

Lydia Gerharz
Hi,

I have problems with writeGDAL. With:

 >writeGDAL(mean2005, "mean.tif", drivername="GTiff", options="TFW=YES")

I export a SpatialGridDataFrame with 9 bands to a GeoTiff. But when I
try to display this GeoTiff in ArcGIS, all 9 bands are not correctly
displayed and all cells have the same value (1.17549e-038). I also tried
another GIS (PcRaster) but it doesn't work. Can somebody tell me what I
did wrong? In R all 9 bands are displayed correctly.

Thank you very much,
Lydia

--
Lydia Gerharz
Institute for Geoinformatics

Try to write GeoTiff with rgdal

alobo
Many programs are not able to display tiff files with more
than 3 bands. Test with qgis 0.10 or globalmapper. Or with matlab

Agus

Lydia Gerharz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have problems with writeGDAL. With:
>
>  >writeGDAL(mean2005, "mean.tif", drivername="GTiff", options="TFW=YES")
>
> I export a SpatialGridDataFrame with 9 bands to a GeoTiff. But when I
> try to display this GeoTiff in ArcGIS, all 9 bands are not correctly
> displayed and all cells have the same value (1.17549e-038). I also tried
> another GIS (PcRaster) but it doesn't work. Can somebody tell me what I
> did wrong? In R all 9 bands are displayed correctly.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Lydia

Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel. 34 934095410
Fax. 34 934110012
email: Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster

Try to write GeoTiff with rgdal

edzer
Also, I believe that ArcGIS assumes GeoTIFF are integer always, whereas
yours (I know) are floating point.

You may want to use gdalinfo on it, which is probably in fwtools. Or,
yes, qgis.
--
Edzer

Agustin Lobo wrsote:

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Agustin Lobo wrote:

> Many programs are not able to display tiff files with more
> than 3 bands. Test with qgis 0.10 or globalmapper. Or with matlab

Any other program using GDAL (like QGIS) will read files written by GDAL.
ArcGIS is an exception, as it predictably does the wrong thing. My
experience is that you have to read GeoTiff through the toolbox raster
calculate statistics module, because ArcGIS guesses wrong about how the
data are configured, and often ignores valid NA cells (hence the odd
values). A three-band will typically be interpreted by ArcGIS as an RGB
image. Doing it a band at a time, and going in through the toolbox (think
Python script) is feasible. On the other hand, non-GDAL ENVI handles
GDAL-written multiband GeoTiffs without any trouble that I've seen.

Welcome to the world of "interoperability"!

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no