Standard Geo-Spatial Format for R

hi_ono2001
Hello.

 I have a plan to create R interface Package for Refraction's "nice" GOES.

 In doing this, I'd like to know there's any plan to make Standard
Geo-Spatial Objects Format for R geo-space communities? Because current
available R's map packages' formats seems to be various and each
independent, so passing data will require to create each  export function
among packages.

 Does anyone know?

 Regards.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Hisaji Ono wrote:

> Hello.
>
>  I have a plan to create R interface Package for Refraction's "nice" GOES.
>
>  In doing this, I'd like to know there's any plan to make Standard
> Geo-Spatial Objects Format for R geo-space communities? Because current
> available R's map packages' formats seems to be various and each
> independent, so passing data will require to create each  export function
> among packages.
>
>  Does anyone know?

Not really. I think what we have is a layered structure with the analysis
packages doing their own things - this is reviewed in my presentation at
DSC03:

http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/DSC-2003/Proceedings/Bivand.pdf

What we have on the other end are interface packages and bindings like
Rmap, GDAL, maptools, shapefiles, RArcInfo, and other ad-hoc ways of
reading files, together with Albrecht Gebhardt's look at PostGIS - see the
Rgeo website.

Then come Edzer Pebesma's spatial classes in the middle, they seem to me
to be exactly the kinds of abstract containers that the interfaces need to
be able to write to and read from, and then the analysis packages can
either convert to using them directly, or use them through methods as
Barry Rowlingson suggested. Could we try to write a draft specification
for this and put it on the website, I think this a lot to be gained by
thinking aloud about this.

Thanks for bringing this up, I agree that GEOS is worth following up, and
would be very useful if matched to the SpatialCls package.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no

Standard Geo-Spatial Format for R

Barry Rowlingson
Roger Bivand wrote:

>> I have a plan to create R interface Package for Refraction's "nice" GOES.

> Thanks for bringing this up, I agree that GEOS is worth following up, and
> would be very useful if matched to the SpatialCls package.

  What exactly is "Refraction's 'nice' GOES" (or is it GEOS?)? Google is
no help, these terms are too common!

Baz

Standard Geo-Spatial Format for R

Edzer J. Pebesma

Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> Roger Bivand wrote:
>
>>> I have a plan to create R interface Package for Refraction's "nice"
>>> GOES.
>>

>> Thanks for bringing this up, I agree that GEOS is worth following up,
>> and would be very useful if matched to the SpatialCls package.
>

>  What exactly is "Refraction's 'nice' GOES" (or is it GEOS?)? Google
> is no help, these terms are too common!

Barry, see
http://geos.refractions.net/

I wondered -- is this the same library that underlies PostGIS?
--
Edzer

Re: Standard Geo-Spatial Format for R

Nicholas Lewin-Koh
No, as it says, it is a C++ port of the java topology suite. JTS is a
nice
library, it just happens to be in java (oh well, I like real coffee). I
do not
think it is the same library as in postGIS. It looks really nice, but
make sure
there are no dependencies on LEDA or one of the common geometry
libraries, the
license on those is difficult since they are practically commercial.

Nicholas