Square vs. honeycomb raster grids

Bacou, Melanie

I am wondering if current R raster operations (e.g. `extract()`, `resample()`, distance(), etc.) can be modified to work with honeycomb (hexagonal) grids instead of simple square grids? This is driven by e.g. work at Uber https://www.slideshare.net/stonse/ml-and-data-science-at-uber-gitpro-talk-2017, and other articles http://strimas.com/spatial/hexagonal-grids/.

I'm being asked to evaluate the pros/cons of using different tessellations, and wondering what's the extent of R's support for non square grids.

Many thanks, --Mel.

--
Melanie BACOU
+1(202)492-7978

Re: Square vs. honeycomb raster grids

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017, Bacou, Melanie wrote:

> I am wondering if current R raster operations (e.g. `extract()`,
> `resample()`, distance(), etc.) can be modified to work with honeycomb
> (hexagonal) grids instead of simple square grids? This is driven by e.g.
> work at Uberhttps://www.slideshare.net/stonse/ml-and-data-science-at-uber-gitpro-talk-2
> 017, and other articles http://strimas.com/spatial/hexagonal-grids/.
>
> I'm being asked to evaluate the pros/cons of using different tessellations,
> and wondering what's the extent of R's support for non square grids.

Please also consider taking this up with:

https://github.com/r-spatial/stars

where it is very relevant. See also the dggridR package:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/dggridR/index.html

Please report back on this - it deserves to be advanced actively.

Roger

Editor-in-Chief of The R Journal, https://journal.r-project.org/index.html
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140

On 09/01/2017 03:53 AM, Roger Bivand wrote:
On Fri, 1 Sep 2017, Bacou, Melanie wrote:

I am wondering if current R raster operations (e.g. `extract()`,
`resample()`, distance(), etc.) can be modified to work with honeycomb
(hexagonal) grids instead of simple square grids? This is driven by e.g.
work at Uber https://www.slideshare.net/stonse/ml-and-data-science-at-uber-gitpro-talk-2
017, and other articles http://strimas.com/spatial/hexagonal-grids/.

I'm being asked to evaluate the pros/cons of using different tessellations,
and wondering what's the extent of R's support for non square grids.

Please also consider taking this up with:

https://github.com/r-spatial/stars

where it is very relevant. See also the dggridR package:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/dggridR/index.html

Please report back on this - it deserves to be advanced actively.

Roger

Roger, thanks did that. Reviewing Richard Barnes' package now.
--Mel.

Many thanks, --Mel.

Re: Square vs. honeycomb raster grids

Rafael Pereira
Melanie,

if you're also interested, this paper brings a good summary of the pros and
cons of three regular tessellations: hexagons, squares and triangles.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304380007001949

best wishes,

Rafael H M Pereira