Spatio-temporal modelling for trip generation data

Spatio-temporal modelling for trip generation data

aestfd
Hi everyone,

I want to produce a prediction of trip generation for the next year, I'm
thinking could be useful a Spatio-temporal model with covariates data. I
have trips values in point locations since 2015 also the population in
census tracts and supply which are bus lines and I'm thinking to convert
them into an accessibility grid (from the census tracts to bus stops). I
have seen that Spatio-temporal models are applied to environmental problems
only, would you recommend me any specific approach or the use of a specific
model?

Regards,
Ariel Fuentes

Re: Spatio-temporal modelling for trip generation data

Rich Shepard
On Wed, 4 Sep 2019, Ariel Fuentesdi wrote:

> I want to produce a prediction of trip generation for the next year, I'm
> thinking could be useful a Spatio-temporal model with covariates data. I
> have trips values in point locations since 2015 also the population in
> census tracts and supply which are bus lines and I'm thinking to convert
> them into an accessibility grid (from the census tracts to bus stops). I
> have seen that Spatio-temporal models are applied to environmental
> problems only, would you recommend me any specific approach or the use of
> a specific model?

Ariel,

Your description suggests you would like to solve the classic 'traveling
salesman' problem. I don't know that R's spatio-temporal functions are
suitable but open street map apparently can help pick optimal routes and a
web search for linux: traveling salesman problem found many software
solutions.

Travel safely,

Rich

Re: Spatio-temporal modelling for trip generation data

Rafael Pereira
Hi Ariel,

There are many open source options to conduct routing analysis, which are
used into accessibility modeling. One of the most used alternatives
nowadays is called OpenTripPlanner
<https://github.com/opentripplanner/OpenTripPlanner>. I've written a couple
Python scripts to call OTP e generate travel-time estimates from many
points to many points using different transport modes including public
transport (https://github.com/rafapereirabr/otp-travel-time-matrix). Marcus
Youg and others have developed a R package (opentripplanner
https://github.com/ITSLeeds/opentripplanner) that allows one to call OTP
from within R. Highly recommended! I hope this is helpful in some way.

best wishes,

Rafael H M Pereira
https://urbandemographics.blogspot.com/