Spatial Downscaling in R

Miluji Sb
Dear all,

Please forgive my inexperience with spatial downscaling. I am interested in
spatial downscaling of global temperature to grid cell. Is there a package
in R that can perform this function?

Any help/guidance will be highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Milu

Re: Spatial Downscaling in R

Michael Sumner-2
Try ClimDown package, otherwise more generally raster function disaggregate.

Cheers

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 06:53 Miluji Sb, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Please forgive my inexperience with spatial downscaling. I am interested in
> spatial downscaling of global temperature to grid cell. Is there a package
> in R that can perform this function?
>
> Any help/guidance will be highly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Milu

Dr. Michael Sumner
Software and Database Engineer
Australian Antarctic Division
203 Channel Highway
Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia

Re: Spatial Downscaling in R

Miluji Sb
Thanks again! Looking into this right now.

Sincerely,

Milu

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM, Michael Sumner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try ClimDown package, otherwise more generally raster function
> disaggregate.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 06:53 Miluji Sb, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Please forgive my inexperience with spatial downscaling. I am interested
>> in
>> spatial downscaling of global temperature to grid cell. Is there a package
>> in R that can perform this function?
>>
>> Any help/guidance will be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Milu

> Dr. Michael Sumner
> Software and Database Engineer
> Australian Antarctic Division
> 203 Channel Highway
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=203+Channel+Highway+Kingston+Tasmania+7050+Australia&entry=gmail&source=g>
> Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=203+Channel+Highway+Kingston+Tasmania+7050+Australia&entry=gmail&source=g>

Re: Spatial Downscaling in R

Bede-Fazekas Ákos
Dear Milu,

You can use any spatial interpolation method as statistical downscaling
approach. See package gstat for IDW (inverse distance weighted) and
several types of kriging. In case of temperature, you might use
elevation data from a DEM or radiation data as auxiliary variables in
those interpolation methods (e.g. regression kriging) that can handle
auxiliary data.

HTH,
Ákos Bede-Fazekas
Hungarian Academy of Sciences

2018.03.14. 22:15 keltezéssel, Miluji Sb írta:

> Thanks again! Looking into this right now.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Milu
>
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM, Michael Sumner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Try ClimDown package, otherwise more generally raster function
>> disaggregate.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 06:53 Miluji Sb, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Please forgive my inexperience with spatial downscaling. I am interested
>>> in
>>> spatial downscaling of global temperature to grid cell. Is there a package
>>> in R that can perform this function?
>>>
>>> Any help/guidance will be highly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Milu
>>>
>>>          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> Dr. Michael Sumner
>> Software and Database Engineer
>> Australian Antarctic Division
>> 203 Channel Highway
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=203+Channel+Highway+Kingston+Tasmania+7050+Australia&entry=gmail&source=g>
>> Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=203+Channel+Highway+Kingston+Tasmania+7050+Australia&entry=gmail&source=g>

Re: Spatial Downscaling in R

Tomislav Hengl-5

For downscaling, and especially if you work with relatively smooth
surfaces and large rasters, I recommend using gdalwarp cubicspline
technique e.g. (http://www.gdal.org/gdalwarp.html):

gdalwarp input.tif output.tif -r "cubicspline" -tr 250 250 -co
"COMPRESS=DEFLATE"

If you prefer to do it via R command line then either use
system('gdalwarp ...') or consider using
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gdalUtils/

SAGA GIS also has few similar options for downscaling
(http://www.saga-gis.org/saga_tool_doc/2.3.0/grid_tools_0.html) and is
efficient with large rasters (it can be easily parallelized).

T. Hengl

On 03/15/2018 09:34 AM, Bede-Fazekas Ákos wrote:

> Dear Milu,
>
> You can use any spatial interpolation method as statistical downscaling
> approach. See package gstat for IDW (inverse distance weighted) and
> several types of kriging. In case of temperature, you might use
> elevation data from a DEM or radiation data as auxiliary variables in
> those interpolation methods (e.g. regression kriging) that can handle
> auxiliary data.
>
> HTH,
> Ákos Bede-Fazekas
> Hungarian Academy of Sciences
>

> 2018.03.14. 22:15 keltezéssel, Miluji Sb írta:
>> Thanks again! Looking into this right now.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Milu
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM, Michael Sumner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Try ClimDown package, otherwise more generally raster function
>>> disaggregate.
>>>
>>> Cheers

>>> --
>>> Dr. Michael Sumner
>>> Software and Database Engineer
>>> Australian Antarctic Division
>>> 203 Channel Highway
>>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=203+Channel+Highway+Kingston+Tasmania+7050+Australia&entry=gmail&source=g>
>>>
>>> Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia
>>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=203+Channel+Highway+Kingston+Tasmania+7050+Australia&entry=gmail&source=g>
>>>

>>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Spatial Downscaling in R

Miluji Sb
 Thank you for your replies. I will try with the packages you mentioned -
they look very useful, I guess my issue is that all I have a vector of
global mean. Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Milu

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Bede-Fazekas Ákos <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Milu,
>
> You can use any spatial interpolation method as statistical downscaling
> approach. See package gstat for IDW (inverse distance weighted) and several
> types of kriging. In case of temperature, you might use elevation data from
> a DEM or radiation data as auxiliary variables in those interpolation
> methods (e.g. regression kriging) that can handle auxiliary data.
>
> HTH,
> Ákos Bede-Fazekas
> Hungarian Academy of Sciences
>

> 2018.03.14. 22:15 keltezéssel, Miluji Sb írta:
>
>> Thanks again! Looking into this right now.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Milu
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM, Michael Sumner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Try ClimDown package, otherwise more generally raster function
>>> disaggregate.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018, 06:53 Miluji Sb, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,

>>> Dr. Michael Sumner
>>> Software and Database Engineer
>>> Australian Antarctic Division
>>> 203 Channel Highway
>>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=203+Channel+Highway+Kingston+Tas
>>> mania+7050+Australia&entry=gmail&source=g>
>>> Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia
>>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=203+Channel+Highway+Kingston+Tas
>>> mania+7050+Australia&entry=gmail&source=g>

Re: Spatial Downscaling in R

karsten
Hi Milu,

if you meant you are lacking raster data sources for temperatures or
rainfall here are some I used extensively for agricultural research projects
in Africa

Rainfall (37 years of global modelled data): CHIRPS at about 5km resolution
http://chg.geog.ucsb.edu/data/index.html
ftp://ftp.chg.ucsb.edu/pub/org/chg/products/CHIRPS-2.0/

Temperature (not Global but has Africa e.g.) from FEWS
https://earlywarning.usgs.gov/fews -> data download (data since 2002
and more

also look at http://www.ccafs-climate.org/
and http://www.ccafs-climate.org/data_spatial_downscaling/