Re: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14

Paul Lantos
ESRI / ArcGIS has moved beyond shapefiles too with the advent of geodatabases. In a GIS environment these are superior to shapefiles in many ways, and ESRI in its own training and help resources encourage geodatabases over shapefiles. As far as I've seen only SpaceStat has made itself compatible with geodatabases. But I think that it's a high priority for R, QGIS, etc to adopt the geodatabase as a common format, esp to facilitate interchange with ArcGIS.


-------- Original message --------
From: [hidden email]
Date: 7/15/16 6:07 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: [hidden email]
Subject: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14

Send R-sig-Geo mailing list submissions to
        [hidden email]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-geo
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        [hidden email]

You can reach the person managing the list at
        [hidden email]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of R-sig-Geo digest..."

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

_______________________________________________
R-sig-Geo mailing list
[hidden email]
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-geo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14

Alex Mandel-2
rgdal has a geodatabase driver (gdal in QGIS too)

Standardizing on the format is impossible unless ESRI opens the
specification. Currently open source tools, even using ESRI SDK can not
read Rasters from geodatabase, relation based values in vectors, and
have little or no write ability. Also ESRI gdb formats are not backwards
compatible with each other, if you write a file with the newest Arc it's
only usable with the newest versions.

I convert all gdb I receive into either gpkg or spatialite which FYI
ArcGIS can read both of those now. For whatever reason ESRI has not
implemented the ability to write to those formats yet.

-Alex

On 07/15/2016 04:40 AM, Paul Lantos wrote:

> ESRI / ArcGIS has moved beyond shapefiles too with the advent of geodatabases. In a GIS environment these are superior to shapefiles in many ways, and ESRI in its own training and help resources encourage geodatabases over shapefiles. As far as I've seen only SpaceStat has made itself compatible with geodatabases. But I think that it's a high priority for R, QGIS, etc to adopt the geodatabase as a common format, esp to facilitate interchange with ArcGIS.
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: 7/15/16 6:07 AM (GMT-05:00)
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14
>
> Send R-sig-Geo mailing list submissions to
>         [hidden email]
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-geo
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         [hidden email]
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         [hidden email]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of R-sig-Geo digest..."
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>
> _______________________________________________
> R-sig-Geo mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-geo
>

_______________________________________________
R-sig-Geo mailing list
[hidden email]
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-geo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14

Paul Lantos
Hi Alex, the commercial stats program SpaceStat (Biomedware) can both read and write geodatabase files. Second, I've had geodatabase files from ArcGIS 10.3.1 used without any problem by colleagues running 10.0.0. I haven't tried this with geodatabases containing complex topology rules, but for basic combinations of rasters and vectors there's been no problem at all.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Mandel [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2016 11:31 AM
To: Paul Lantos <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [R-sig-Geo] R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14

rgdal has a geodatabase driver (gdal in QGIS too)

Standardizing on the format is impossible unless ESRI opens the specification. Currently open source tools, even using ESRI SDK can not read Rasters from geodatabase, relation based values in vectors, and have little or no write ability. Also ESRI gdb formats are not backwards compatible with each other, if you write a file with the newest Arc it's only usable with the newest versions.

I convert all gdb I receive into either gpkg or spatialite which FYI ArcGIS can read both of those now. For whatever reason ESRI has not implemented the ability to write to those formats yet.

-Alex

On 07/15/2016 04:40 AM, Paul Lantos wrote:

> ESRI / ArcGIS has moved beyond shapefiles too with the advent of geodatabases. In a GIS environment these are superior to shapefiles in many ways, and ESRI in its own training and help resources encourage geodatabases over shapefiles. As far as I've seen only SpaceStat has made itself compatible with geodatabases. But I think that it's a high priority for R, QGIS, etc to adopt the geodatabase as a common format, esp to facilitate interchange with ArcGIS.
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: 7/15/16 6:07 AM (GMT-05:00)
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14
>
> Send R-sig-Geo mailing list submissions to
>         [hidden email]
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>        
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__stat.ethz.ch_mail
> man_listinfo_r-2Dsig-2Dgeo&d=CwIC-g&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHL
> R0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=4SG34ZYbVp
> VdBftPWPPoE1R-qnPX6Wcprp73RDmi44o&s=QHnuyzs8I2c8iGjeuozlcAfM-aeb77TlAt
> 7Q9LU-QrM&e= or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help'
> to
>         [hidden email]
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         [hidden email]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of R-sig-Geo digest..."
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>
> _______________________________________________
> R-sig-Geo mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__stat.ethz.ch_mail
> man_listinfo_r-2Dsig-2Dgeo&d=CwIC-g&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHL
> R0Sj_gZ4adc&r=pCiIbVPBNWU0azo0D48ChUH_fawb-FalNVOf1sUn1r4&m=4SG34ZYbVpVdBftPWPPoE1R-qnPX6Wcprp73RDmi44o&s=QHnuyzs8I2c8iGjeuozlcAfM-aeb77TlAt7Q9LU-QrM&e=
>

_______________________________________________
R-sig-Geo mailing list
[hidden email]
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-geo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14

Alex Mandel-2
In reply to this post by Alex Mandel-2
Shaun,

Thanks I hadn't seen the write functionality before, but last time I
looked was a year ago. Very unclear what version they introduced the
writing, seems to be 10.4 released at the end of 2015. I suspect the
machines around here are still running 10.3

Any idea if you can direct edit those formats like other layers in Arc
(I should give it a try)?

Thanks,
-Alex

On 07/15/2016 09:24 AM, Shaun Walbridge wrote:

> Alex,
>
> The Geodatabase issue and what the most appropriate storage format is for a standard is a complex topic so I won't jump into it, but wanted to mention that ArcGIS supports writing to both Geopackages and Spatalite databases and has for the past few releases. This can be accomplished in a few ways, including using the CreateSQLiteDatabase tool [1].
>
> Cheers,
> Shaun
>
> 1. http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/data-management-toolbox/create-sqlite-database.htm
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: R-sig-Geo [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Alex Mandel
> Sent: Friday, July 15, 2016 11:31 AM
> To: Paul Lantos <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [R-sig-Geo] R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14
>
> rgdal has a geodatabase driver (gdal in QGIS too)
>
> Standardizing on the format is impossible unless ESRI opens the specification. Currently open source tools, even using ESRI SDK can not read Rasters from geodatabase, relation based values in vectors, and have little or no write ability. Also ESRI gdb formats are not backwards compatible with each other, if you write a file with the newest Arc it's only usable with the newest versions.
>
> I convert all gdb I receive into either gpkg or spatialite which FYI ArcGIS can read both of those now. For whatever reason ESRI has not implemented the ability to write to those formats yet.
>
> -Alex
>
> On 07/15/2016 04:40 AM, Paul Lantos wrote:
>> ESRI / ArcGIS has moved beyond shapefiles too with the advent of geodatabases. In a GIS environment these are superior to shapefiles in many ways, and ESRI in its own training and help resources encourage geodatabases over shapefiles. As far as I've seen only SpaceStat has made itself compatible with geodatabases. But I think that it's a high priority for R, QGIS, etc to adopt the geodatabase as a common format, esp to facilitate interchange with ArcGIS.
>>
>>
>> -------- Original message --------
>> From: [hidden email]
>> Date: 7/15/16 6:07 AM (GMT-05:00)
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 155, Issue 14
>>
>> Send R-sig-Geo mailing list submissions to
>>         [hidden email]
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>        
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__stat.ethz.ch_mail
>> man_listinfo_r-2Dsig-2Dgeo&d=CwICAg&c=n6-cguzQvX_tUIrZOS_4Og&r=YFaRLkc
>> UCdDkLrpTbNOUV9J1CwYBCTMwgm5tdQkRSm4&m=SGUF8qW8cnoIz6ic76VZu7Bgk7bDFCv
>> WboA3bewZTHU&s=RZXiOGDMUuqbppFHzIRDaxFCLvTof4HQQNYr9XdyXBo&e=
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>         [hidden email]
>>
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>         [hidden email]
>>
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of R-sig-Geo digest..."
>>
>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> R-sig-Geo mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__stat.ethz.ch_mail
>> man_listinfo_r-2Dsig-2Dgeo&d=CwICAg&c=n6-cguzQvX_tUIrZOS_4Og&r=YFaRLkc
>> UCdDkLrpTbNOUV9J1CwYBCTMwgm5tdQkRSm4&m=SGUF8qW8cnoIz6ic76VZu7Bgk7bDFCv
>> WboA3bewZTHU&s=RZXiOGDMUuqbppFHzIRDaxFCLvTof4HQQNYr9XdyXBo&e=
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> R-sig-Geo mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__stat.ethz.ch_mailman_listinfo_r-2Dsig-2Dgeo&d=CwICAg&c=n6-cguzQvX_tUIrZOS_4Og&r=YFaRLkcUCdDkLrpTbNOUV9J1CwYBCTMwgm5tdQkRSm4&m=SGUF8qW8cnoIz6ic76VZu7Bgk7bDFCvWboA3bewZTHU&s=RZXiOGDMUuqbppFHzIRDaxFCLvTof4HQQNYr9XdyXBo&e= 
>

_______________________________________________
R-sig-Geo mailing list
[hidden email]
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-geo