Re: R(D)-COM stat conenctor for ArcGIS

Hi Monica!

On R-help you wrote:

>   I heard about "R(D)-COM Stat connector" for ArcGIS, but i am not
>     sure what that is. I did a search in the archive but it seems i am
>     not getting anything back.
>     can anybody explain me what that is, and where i can find more
>     info about it? There is any possibility to run R from inside
> ArcGIS?
>     there is more than RArcInfo and Shapefile which can import
> these
>     kind of files in R environment?
>     Sorry, but i have no clue ;-)

This is the general Stat Connector, which also "works" with ArcGIS VBA.
The general connector is at:

http://cran.r-project.org/contrib/extra/dcom

not a package. It was mostly written for Excel. There is no reason in
principle why it won't work with ArcGIS, but nothing is just "ready to
run", it involves VBA programming from the ArcGIS side. Try it with Excel
first to get a feel. There will be more discussion on the r-sig-geo list,
I know Virgilio whom you met at the StatGIS03 meeting is interested too,
though none of us know VBA, I think. I'll ask a student at our department,
Helge Astad, to contact you about this too.

Best wishes,

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no