R and Arcgis through VBA

Christophe Saint-Jean
Dear experts,
  I am trying to use R with Arcgis Desktop 8.1 (under W2K and admin rights).
  When i drag and drop a "StatConnectorGraphicsDevice" control to my form, VBA returns an specified error and nothing else .
  Does anybody has a successful experience with Arcgis and R ?
  Thanks,
Christophe Saint-Jean.

Re: R and Arcgis through VBA

Christophe Saint-Jean
Well,
    I have just found that it is a known problem of RCom :-(

http://mailman.csd.univie.ac.at/pipermail/rcom-l/2004-January/000095.html
   The same problem appears in Excel too.
    Let's hope the next version will fix that ..
Christophe.

Christophe Saint-Jean a ?crit:

> Dear experts,
>  I am trying to use R with Arcgis Desktop 8.1 (under W2K and admin
> rights).
>  When i drag and drop a "StatConnectorGraphicsDevice" control to my
> form, VBA returns an specified error and nothing else .  Does anybody
> has a successful experience with Arcgis and R ?
>  Thanks,
> Christophe Saint-Jean.

Re: R and Arcgis through VBA

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Christophe Saint-Jean wrote:

> Well,
>     I have just found that it is a known problem of RCom :-(
>
> http://mailman.csd.univie.ac.at/pipermail/rcom-l/2004-January/000095.html
>    The same problem appears in Excel too.
>     Let's hope the next version will fix that ..
> Christophe.

Said to be ready by about useR! in Vienna in May. Maybe other parts of the
connector work better - I've put a zip archive on:

http://spatial.nhh.no/R/stag/R_ArcGIS_example.zip

with R_ArcGIS_example.frm and R_ArcGIS_example.frx in it. This
demonstrates and times moving a band from a raster (add a jpeg to an
empty map in ArcMap) to R, returning the log of data+1. This was
originally written by Helge Astad, and the timings show it goes fast once
R is started.

Should we try to start a repository of *.frm/*.frx forms as demos
somewhere? Learning from examples seems to be a good way forward?

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no