Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Jonathan Greenberg-3
R-sig-geo'ers:

I wanted to take a quick poll -- what is your favorite introductory
GIS textbook?  I'm evaluating texts for a basic GIS course I'll be
teaching next year, and I wanted to get some feedback from the
open-source community.  Thanks!

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor

Re: Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Steve Friedman
While open source gis is appealing most jobs still require introductory
employees to use arcgis products. I'd stay away from anything else if you
want your students to thank you latter.

Steve
On Oct 11, 2011 4:33 PM, "Jonathan Greenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> R-sig-geo'ers:
>
> I wanted to take a quick poll -- what is your favorite introductory
> GIS textbook?  I'm evaluating texts for a basic GIS course I'll be
> teaching next year, and I wanted to get some feedback from the
> open-source community.  Thanks!
>
> --j
>
> --
> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Geography
> 607 South Mathews Avenue, MC 150
> Urbana, IL 61801
> Phone: 415-763-5476
> AIM: jgrn307, MSN: [hidden email], Gchat: jgrn307, Skype: jgrn3007
> http://www.geog.illinois.edu/people/JonathanGreenberg.html

Re: Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Jonathan Greenberg-3
Steve:

I agree -- my primary software will be ArcGIS but I was wondering if
any of the texts are better with general GIS principles, particularly
if someone wants to transition from Arc to open source approaches.

--j

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Steve Friedman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> While open source gis is appealing most jobs still require introductory
> employees to use arcgis products. I'd stay away from anything else if you
> want your students to thank you latter.
>
> Steve
>
> On Oct 11, 2011 4:33 PM, "Jonathan Greenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> R-sig-geo'ers:
>>
>> I wanted to take a quick poll -- what is your favorite introductory
>> GIS textbook?  I'm evaluating texts for a basic GIS course I'll be
>> teaching next year, and I wanted to get some feedback from the
>> open-source community.  Thanks!
>>
>> --j
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
>> Assistant Professor
>> Department of Geography
>> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>> 607 South Mathews Avenue, MC 150
>> Urbana, IL 61801
>> Phone: 415-763-5476
>> AIM: jgrn307, MSN: [hidden email], Gchat: jgrn307, Skype: jgrn3007
>> http://www.geog.illinois.edu/people/JonathanGreenberg.html

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Geography
607 South Mathews Avenue, MC 150
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: 415-763-5476
AIM: jgrn307, MSN: [hidden email], Gchat: jgrn307, Skype: jgrn3007
http://www.geog.illinois.edu/people/JonathanGreenberg.html

Re: Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:

> I agree -- my primary software will be ArcGIS but I was wondering if any
> of the texts are better with general GIS principles, particularly if
> someone wants to transition from Arc to open source approaches.

Jon,

   FWIW, I suggest that you select your textbook to fit what you expect
students to take away from your course. If you intend to turn out
ESRI-capable technicians who can point-and-click, then select a book that
teaches that. However, if you want to produce spatial analysts then select a
book that describes GIS, computational geometry, or terrain/hydrological
modeling.

   In my years of consulting I've seen too many folks who know how to operate
a piece of software (particularly in a GUI) without knowing why or how to
apply it to a new situation. I've seen this with GIS and statistical
software and, with a couple of current projects, using spreadsheets because
they were never taught how to design, build, and use a database.

   The analogy I've been know to use in these situations is that while you
might teach someone how to use a word processor, it does not make her a
writer.

   My $2 worth ... inflation, you know.

Rich

Re: Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Paul Hiemstra-2
On 10/11/2011 08:29 PM, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
> R-sig-geo'ers:
>
> I wanted to take a quick poll -- what is your favorite introductory
> GIS textbook?  I'm evaluating texts for a basic GIS course I'll be
> teaching next year, and I wanted to get some feedback from the
> open-source community.  Thanks!
>
> --j

Hi Jonathan,

On topic (I don't want to start a ArcGIS vs Open source flame :)). When
I did a graduate course in GIS, we used the book "Principles of
Geographical Information Systems" by Peter Burrough and Rachael
McDonnell. I think the book is ok, especially when teaching to under
graduates. It covers a wide range of topics and does not explicitely use
one type of software (e.g. ArcGIS).

regards,
Paul

--
Paul Hiemstra, Ph.D.
Global Climate Division

http://intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul
http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/paul-hiemstra/20/30b/770

On 10/11/2011 09:13 PM, Steve Friedman wrote:
> While open source gis is appealing most jobs still require introductory
> employees to use arcgis products. I'd stay away from anything else if you
> want your students to thank you latter.

Hi Steve,

I think ArcGIS is directed towards GIS engineers, R is more directed
towards scientists. If you train your students to become scientists, I
would choose R + open source GIS (SAGA, GRASS). If you train them to be
engineers, ArcGIS mixed with some exposure to other tools would be
preferable. I'm not really sure what the goal of Jonathan is, science or
engineering.

regards,
Paul

> Steve
> On Oct 11, 2011 4:33 PM, "Jonathan Greenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> R-sig-geo'ers:
>>
>> I wanted to take a quick poll -- what is your favorite introductory
>> GIS textbook?  I'm evaluating texts for a basic GIS course I'll be
>> teaching next year, and I wanted to get some feedback from the
>> open-source community.  Thanks!
>>
>> --j
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
>> Assistant Professor
>> Department of Geography
>> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>> 607 South Mathews Avenue, MC 150
>> Urbana, IL 61801
>> Phone: 415-763-5476
>> AIM: jgrn307, MSN: [hidden email], Gchat: jgrn307, Skype: jgrn3007
>> http://www.geog.illinois.edu/people/JonathanGreenberg.html

Paul Hiemstra, Ph.D.
Global Climate Division
Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI)
Wilhelminalaan 10 | 3732 GK | De Bilt | Kamer B 3.39
P.O. Box 201 | 3730 AE | De Bilt
tel: +31 30 2206 494

http://intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul
http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/paul-hiemstra/20/30b/770

Re: Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Tomislav Hengl-4

Jonathan,

GIS is a rather broad field. You could split it into several 'more
concrete' research sub-fields (classification of scientific 'fields' is
obviously a very fuzzy area): spatial data modelling, spatial databases,
raster GIS / remote sensing, vector data modelling, digital terrain
modelling (geomorphometry), spatial statistics etc. Then, for each
sub-field find the most popular source.

As a gentle introduction to GIS, I liked suggesting the Paul Bolstads
book [http://www.paulbolstad.net/gisbook.html], but this is really an
introduction and is mainly meant for the students in USA (also, it is
not meant for software training courses).

A colleague of mine (Victor Olaya) has been putting together an open
access 900 pages (!) book on GIS principles
[http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Libro_SIG], but this is in Spanish (although
they do actually plan an English book too
[http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Book_Outline]).

R / GRASS / SAGA community provides numerous training and
hands-on-software literature sources. This would be my favorites ones:

1. Spatial data modeling
- Bivand, R., Pebesma, E., Rubio, V., 2008. Applied Spatial Data
Analysis with R. Use R Series, Springer, Heidelberg, pp. 378.

2. Spatial databases
- Obe, R.O. and Hsu, L.S., 2011. PostGIS in Action. Manning
Publications, 552 p.
- Beaudette, D., 2011. Open Source Software Tools for Soil Scientists,
University of California at Davis.
[http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/95]

3. Raster GIS / remote sensing
- Neteler, M., Mitasova, H., 2008. Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS
Approach, 3rd Edt. Springer, The International Series in Engineering and
Computer Science: Volume 773. 406 p.
- Hijmans, R., 2011. Geographic analysis and modeling with raster data.
CRAN, [http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/raster/]

4. Geomorphometry (DEMs)
- Cimmery, V. (2007-2010): SAGA User Guide, updated for SAGA version 2.0.5.
- Hengl, T., Reuter, H.I. (eds) 2008. Geomorphometry: Concepts,
Software, Applications. Developments in Soil Science, vol. 33, Elsevier,
772 p.

5. Space-time statistics
- Bivand, R., Pebesma, E., Rubio, V., 2008. Applied Spatial Data
Analysis with R. Use R Series, Springer, Heidelberg, pp. 378.
- Schabenberger, O., Gotway, C.A., 2005. Statistical Methods for Spatial
Data Analysis. Boca Raton, FL: Chapman & Hall/CRC, 488 p.
- Diggle, P.J., Ribeiro, P.J., 2006. Model-based Geostatistics.
Springer, 230 p.

I think you would do more than a noble thing if you would promote the
following three 'classics':

1. Bivand, R., Pebesma, E., Rubio, V., 2008. Applied Spatial Data
Analysis with R. Use R Series, Springer, Heidelberg, pp. 378.
2. Neteler, M., Mitasova, H., 2008. Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS
Approach, 3rd Edt. Springer, The International Series in Engineering and
Computer Science: Volume 773. 406 p.
3. Kabacoff, R.I., 2011. R in Action: Data analysis and graphics with R.
Manning publications, 470 p.

HTH,

T. Hengl
http://www.wewur.wur.nl/popups/vcard.aspx?id=HENGL001

On 12-10-2011 0:07, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:

> Steve:
>
> I agree -- my primary software will be ArcGIS but I was wondering if
> any of the texts are better with general GIS principles, particularly
> if someone wants to transition from Arc to open source approaches.
>
> --j
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Steve Friedman
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> While open source gis is appealing most jobs still require introductory
>> employees to use arcgis products. I'd stay away from anything else if you
>> want your students to thank you latter.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> On Oct 11, 2011 4:33 PM, "Jonathan Greenberg"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> R-sig-geo'ers:
>>>
>>> I wanted to take a quick poll -- what is your favorite introductory
>>> GIS textbook?  I'm evaluating texts for a basic GIS course I'll be
>>> teaching next year, and I wanted to get some feedback from the
>>> open-source community.  Thanks!
>>>
>>> --j
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
>>> Assistant Professor
>>> Department of Geography
>>> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>>> 607 South Mathews Avenue, MC 150
>>> Urbana, IL 61801
>>> Phone: 415-763-5476
>>> AIM: jgrn307, MSN: [hidden email], Gchat: jgrn307, Skype: jgrn3007
>>> http://www.geog.illinois.edu/people/JonathanGreenberg.html

Re: Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Corey Sparks
Hello,
As someone who teaches GIS to social scientists and policy wonks, I like Paul Longley's GIS and Science book, here is a link to Paul's page:
http://paul-longley.com/books/

It is not a software book, but more of an application and "why" book, which is not common in the GIS world.  For undergrads, Andy Mitchell's books:
http://esripress.esri.com/display/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&websiteID=22&moduleID=1
and
http://esripress.esri.com/display/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&websiteID=86

are good, as they show what ArcGIS can do, but without teaching ArcGIS, for that I go with:
Getting to Know ArcGIS desktop:
http://esripress.esri.com/display/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&websiteID=143&moduleID=0

because it comes with a 6 month license of ArcGIS, some data and lots of homework.

If your class is GIS, and not statistics I would avoid using books that focus heavily on stat, especially if they are Geography undergrads, and focus more on applications of GIS, data types and structures, and areas where it can be applied.

My 2$
Corey

Corey Sparks
Assistant professor
Department of Demography
The University of Texas at San Antonio
501 West Cesar E Chavez Blvd
San Antonio TX 78207
Corey.sparks 'at' utsa.edu
210 458 3166 <tel:210%20458%203166>
Latitude: 29.423614  /  Longitude: -98.504282
Corey Sparks
Associate professor
Department of Demography
The University of Texas at San Antonio
501 West Cesar E Chavez Blvd
San Antonio TX 78207
coreysparks.weebly.com
210 458 3166 <tel:210%20458%203166>
Latitude: 29.423614  /  Longitude: -98.504282

Re: Quick poll -- favorite GIS textbook?

Anne Ghisla-2
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:13:35 -0400
Steve Friedman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While open source gis is appealing most jobs still require
> introductory employees to use arcgis products. I'd stay away from
> anything else if you want your students to thank you latter.

Sorry if I step in a bit late.

Well, if students are taught the concepts and are given open source
GIS to practice, they will be able to use any other GIS. The advantage
is that they won't need to buy licenses or worse have illegal copies
to complete the tutorials.

I also agree with Rich's opinions.

The decision of teaching closed source GIS comes often by the will to
prepare people to work. And workplaces simply adopt what people have
learned at school, and/or ask for people able to use the software they
bought some time in the past and are reluctant to abandon...
One of the ways to break this circle - and reward competent technicians - is to be
truly software independent.

My 2c,
Anne

http://gis.cri.fmach.it/ghisla/