Package lwgeom (0.2-4) fails to install on Shinyapps.io with an "upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later" error

Package lwgeom (0.2-4) fails to install on Shinyapps.io with an "upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later" error

El Mechry El Koudouss
Dear all,
I am building a Shiny app that works fine on my laptop (Windows 10).
However, it fails to deploy on Shinyapps.io because the package lwgeom
(0.2-4) fails to install on Shinyapps.io. I have the sf  package installed
and loaded to the library on my laptop and it links to GEOS 3.8.0. I also
have the  lwgeom package installed and loaded to the library in my laptop
and it also links to GOES 3.8.0. Yes the error I get is:
error: upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘lwgeom’
The full message I get up on trying to deploy my app is pasted below. For
more information, I am using the following packages and the following shiny
functions. I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

library(shiny)
library(shinythemes)
library(plotly)
library(tidyverse)
library(sf)
library(leaflet)
library(tmap)
library(lubridate)
renderLeaflet()
tm_shape()
tm_polygons()
tmap_leaflet()

Full error message is below:
Building R package: lwgeom (0.2-4)
/mnt/packages/build /mnt
* installing to library ‘/opt/R/4.0.0/lib/R/library’
* installing *source* package ‘lwgeom’ ...
** package ‘lwgeom’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
configure: CC: gcc
configure: CXX: g++ -std=gnu++11
configure: pkg-config proj exists, will use it
configure: PROJ: 4.9.2
checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... yes
checking PROJ: epsg found and readable... yes
configure: POSTGIS_PROJ_VERSION: 49
checking for geos-config... /usr/bin/geos-config
checking geos-config usability... yes
configure: GEOS: 3.5.1
checking GEOS version >= 3.6.0... no
configure: error: upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘lwgeom’
* removing ‘/opt/R/4.0.0/lib/R/library/lwgeom’
################################# End Task Log
#################################
Error: Unhandled Exception: Child Task 741259659 failed: Error building
image: Error building lwgeom (0.2-4). Build exited with non-zero status: 1
Execution halted

--
El Mechry, El Koudouss (Meshry)
Graduate Research Assistant

Re: Package lwgeom (0.2-4) fails to install on Shinyapps.io with an "upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later" error

Erin Hodgess
Hello!

Could this possibly be due to the upgrade for GDAL and PROJ libraries,
please?

That might be something on the Shinyapps.io side.  Just a thought.

Thanks,
Erin

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 10:00 AM El Mechry El Koudouss <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I am building a Shiny app that works fine on my laptop (Windows 10).
> However, it fails to deploy on Shinyapps.io because the package lwgeom
> (0.2-4) fails to install on Shinyapps.io. I have the sf  package installed
> and loaded to the library on my laptop and it links to GEOS 3.8.0. I also
> have the  lwgeom package installed and loaded to the library in my laptop
> and it also links to GOES 3.8.0. Yes the error I get is:
> error: upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘lwgeom’
> The full message I get up on trying to deploy my app is pasted below. For
> more information, I am using the following packages and the following shiny
> functions. I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
> Thanks.
>
> library(shiny)
> library(shinythemes)
> library(plotly)
> library(tidyverse)
> library(sf)
> library(leaflet)
> library(tmap)
> library(lubridate)
> renderLeaflet()
> tm_shape()
> tm_polygons()
> tmap_leaflet()
>
> Full error message is below:
> Building R package: lwgeom (0.2-4)
> /mnt/packages/build /mnt
> * installing to library ‘/opt/R/4.0.0/lib/R/library’
> * installing *source* package ‘lwgeom’ ...
> ** package ‘lwgeom’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> ** using staged installation
> configure: CC: gcc
> configure: CXX: g++ -std=gnu++11
> configure: pkg-config proj exists, will use it
> configure: PROJ: 4.9.2
> checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... yes
> checking PROJ: epsg found and readable... yes
> configure: POSTGIS_PROJ_VERSION: 49
> checking for geos-config... /usr/bin/geos-config
> checking geos-config usability... yes
> configure: GEOS: 3.5.1
> checking GEOS version >= 3.6.0... no
> configure: error: upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘lwgeom’
> * removing ‘/opt/R/4.0.0/lib/R/library/lwgeom’
> ################################# End Task Log
> #################################
> Error: Unhandled Exception: Child Task 741259659 failed: Error building
> image: Error building lwgeom (0.2-4). Build exited with non-zero status: 1
> Execution halted
>
> --
> El Mechry, El Koudouss (Meshry)
> Graduate Research Assistant
> Center for International Policy Studies
> Fordham University
> Department of Economics
> Website: www.meshry.com

Erin Hodgess, PhD
mailto: [hidden email]

Re: Package lwgeom (0.2-4) fails to install on Shinyapps.io with an "upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later" error

Rich Shepard
On Wed, 3 Jun 2020, Erin Hodgess wrote:

> Could this possibly be due to the upgrade for GDAL and PROJ libraries,
> please?

Erin,

I learned a while ago that when any of proj, geos, and gdal are upgraded I
need to rebuid tools higher in that chain. If you have a new geos version
then a new gdal build is in order.

If this does not address your issue please excuse my responding.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Package lwgeom (0.2-4) fails to install on Shinyapps.io with an "upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later" error

edzer
R package lwgeom had to upgrade to a newer version of liblwgeom (now a
subdirectory in the PostGIS source tree, really) because of the new PROJ
versions and deprecation of the old PROJ interface; PostGIS requires the
newer GEOS version.

I have no control over versions of GEOS that are run on the shinyapps.io
machines, and don't know which OS at which version they run. I also have
no clue how one could debug this issue.

One could try to patch the install file,
https://github.com/rstudio/shinyapps-package-dependencies/blob/master/packages/lwgeom/install
such that it installs a newer GEOS (maybe binary from another ppa,
otherwise from source).

On 6/3/20 6:33 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jun 2020, Erin Hodgess wrote:
>
>> Could this possibly be due to the upgrade for GDAL and PROJ libraries,
>> please?
>
> Erin,
>
> I learned a while ago that when any of proj, geos, and gdal are upgraded I
> need to rebuid tools higher in that chain. If you have a new geos version
> then a new gdal build is in order.
>
> If this does not address your issue please excuse my responding.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Institute for Geoinformatics
Heisenbergstrasse 2, 48149 Muenster, Germany
Phone: +49 251 8333081

pEpkey.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Package lwgeom (0.2-4) fails to install on Shinyapps.io with an "upgrade GEOS to 3.6.0 or later" error

Ista Zahn-2
The documentation at
https://docs.rstudio.com/shinyapps.io/getting-started.html#deploying-applications
will help you figure it out. From a quick glance it seems you can
either downgrade your local version of lwgeom or work to get the
system dependencies installed as instructed at
https://docs.rstudio.com/shinyapps.io/getting-started.html#system-packages

Best,
Ista