New GDAL multi-dimensional array support?

New GDAL multi-dimensional array support?

H. Joe Lee
 Hi,

  My name is H. Joe Lee who maintains a rgdal website [0] to help rgdal
users to access NASA Earthdata easily.

  Recently, GDAL 3.1.0 added a multi-dimensional raster model [1] and two
new command line interface tools - gdalmdiminfo & gdalmdimtranslate. They
significantly increase the usability of NASA Earthdata in HDF like MOD35
product [2] by allowing users to subset and transpose data easily.

  Thus, I'm wondering if rgdal development team can provide functions that
utilize new GDAL multi-dimensional APIs and tools that support [1] in the
future release.

  Sincerely,

[0] https://hdfeos.org/software/r.php
<https://www.hdfeos.org/software/r.php>

[1]
https://gdal.org/user/multidim_raster_data_model.html#multidim-raster-data-model

[2] https://hdfeos.org/zoo/LAADS_MOD_py.php

--
Datafy everything in HDF for faster AI.

Re: New GDAL multi-dimensional array support?

edzer
Good thinking! I was thinking of making this available in the context of
stars, which has multidimensional arrays (data cubes/hypercubes) as its
target data type.

Many regards,

On 6/26/20 4:36 PM, H. Joe Lee wrote:

>  Hi,
>

>   My name is H. Joe Lee who maintains a rgdal website [0] to help rgdal
> users to access NASA Earthdata easily.
>

>   Recently, GDAL 3.1.0 added a multi-dimensional raster model [1] and two
> new command line interface tools - gdalmdiminfo & gdalmdimtranslate. They
> significantly increase the usability of NASA Earthdata in HDF like MOD35
> product [2] by allowing users to subset and transpose data easily.
>

>   Thus, I'm wondering if rgdal development team can provide functions that
> utilize new GDAL multi-dimensional APIs and tools that support [1] in the
> future release.
>

>   Sincerely,
>

> [0] https://hdfeos.org/software/r.php
> <https://www.hdfeos.org/software/r.php>
>
> [1]
> https://gdal.org/user/multidim_raster_data_model.html#multidim-raster-data-model
>

> [2] https://hdfeos.org/zoo/LAADS_MOD_py.php
>

> --
> Datafy everything in HDF for faster AI.

Institute for Geoinformatics
Heisenbergstrasse 2, 48149 Muenster, Germany
Phone: +49 251 8333081

pEpkey.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: New GDAL multi-dimensional array support?

Tim Salabim
Somewhat related , but Dirk Edelb├╝ttel just released an R package to
interact with tiledb for storing spatiotemporal data as arrays (I believe
very similar in structure to what stars objects are). Tiledb also has a
gdal driver, so should play rather nicely with stars/sf/...

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020, 19:07 Edzer Pebesma <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Good thinking! I was thinking of making this available in the context of
> stars, which has multidimensional arrays (data cubes/hypercubes) as its
> target data type.
>
> Many regards,
>
> On 6/26/20 4:36 PM, H. Joe Lee wrote:
> >  Hi,
> >

> >   My name is H. Joe Lee who maintains a rgdal website [0] to help rgdal
> > users to access NASA Earthdata easily.
> >

> >   Recently, GDAL 3.1.0 added a multi-dimensional raster model [1] and two
> > new command line interface tools - gdalmdiminfo & gdalmdimtranslate. They
> > significantly increase the usability of NASA Earthdata in HDF like MOD35
> > product [2] by allowing users to subset and transpose data easily.
> >

> >   Thus, I'm wondering if rgdal development team can provide functions
> that
> > utilize new GDAL multi-dimensional APIs and tools that support [1] in the
> > future release.
> >

> >   Sincerely,
> >

> > [0] https://hdfeos.org/software/r.php
> > <https://www.hdfeos.org/software/r.php>
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://gdal.org/user/multidim_raster_data_model.html#multidim-raster-data-model
> >

> > [2] https://hdfeos.org/zoo/LAADS_MOD_py.php
> >

> > --
> > Datafy everything in HDF for faster AI.

> Edzer Pebesma
> Institute for Geoinformatics
> Heisenbergstrasse 2, 48149 Muenster, Germany
> Phone: +49 251 8333081

Re: New GDAL multi-dimensional array support?

chris english-2
Merely for completeness,
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/tiledb/index.html
I feel guilty when I think, let Dirk do the werk, but he is light years
ahead of my C++ and C.
Chris

On Fri, 26 Jun 2020, H. Joe Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>

>  My name is H. Joe Lee who maintains a rgdal website [0] to help rgdal
> users to access NASA Earthdata easily.
>

>  Recently, GDAL 3.1.0 added a multi-dimensional raster model [1] and two
> new command line interface tools - gdalmdiminfo & gdalmdimtranslate. They
> significantly increase the usability of NASA Earthdata in HDF like MOD35
> product [2] by allowing users to subset and transpose data easily.
>

>  Thus, I'm wondering if rgdal development team can provide functions that
> utilize new GDAL multi-dimensional APIs and tools that support [1] in the
> future release.

As you will have gathered, rgdal is suitable for multiband raster. Other
packages provide array data models. There is no rgdal development team,
only the maintainer (an academic on the verge of retiring). rgdal is in
maintenance mode only, permitting packages using rgdal through raster to
migrate to terra, and packages using rgdal/sp classes to migrate to stars
and friends.

Roger