Match European cities to Coordinates/NUTS 2

Match European cities to Coordinates/NUTS 2

Miluji Sb
I have a dataframe (more than 50,000 observations), where one of the
variables is the city that unit is location. The units are all in Europe.

My goal is to assign NUTS-2 code to each of these cities. However, I am not
aware of any direct way of achieving this, so I wanted to first assign
coordinates to the cities and then use the 'over' function to match with
NUTS regions from EU shapefile.

I have tried to use 'geocode' from the ggmap package but there is a 2,500
per day limit. Is there any other solution? Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Milu