Kriging question, please

Erin Hodgess
Hello!

Is there a method for Kriging for irregular data, please?  I’m about 99.9%
sure that there is not, but just thought I would double check.

Thanks so much for your help!

Happy Holidays!

Sincerely,
Erin

--
Erin Hodgess, PhD
mailto: [hidden email]

Re: Kriging question, please

Sarah Goslee
Hi Erin,

I'm not sure what you mean by "irregular data." There's no requirement
that points be on a grid, and that's the only thing I can think of,
but I'm not sure how you'd get the idea that that was required given
the existence of the basic tutorials using the meuse dataset.

https://rpubs.com/nabilabd/118172

So, please expand on your question.

Sarah

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 1:04 PM Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is there a method for Kriging for irregular data, please?  I’m about 99.9%
> sure that there is not, but just thought I would double check.
>
> Thanks so much for your help!
>
> Happy Holidays!
>
> Sincerely,
> Erin
>
> --
> Erin Hodgess, PhD
> mailto: [hidden email]

Sarah Goslee (she/her)
http://www.numberwright.com

Re: Kriging question, please

Jari Oksanen
Howdy,

Danie Kriege  [dɑniː ˈkriχə]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/Afrikaans> was a mining engineer. I find it very hard to believe there is a practicing engineer who thinks that you can find a gold mine only if you have collected data in a regular grid (if that is what you mean with “regular data"). Indeed, his methods can be used for usual prospecting data – which typically is irregular or not in a regular grid.

Cheers, J.

On 19 Dec 2019, at 20:04, Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hello!

Is there a method for Kriging for irregular data, please?  I’m about 99.9%
sure that there is not, but just thought I would double check.

Thanks so much for your help!

Happy Holidays!

Sincerely,
Erin

--
Erin Hodgess, PhD
mailto: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Kriging question, please

Erin Hodgess
Hi again everyone:

Sorry for the unclear question.

Typically, I have data that is at say, 8 locations and collected every
hour.  So spatial and/or spatial-temporal kriging works fine.

In this case, I am dealing with traffic accident data.  So it can be at
"any" location and at any time.  I had the (probably incorrect) impression
that kriging may not work in that setting.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Erin

Erin Hodgess, PhD
mailto: [hidden email]

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 12:15 PM Jari Oksanen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Danie Kriege  [dɑniː ˈkriχə]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/Afrikaans> was a mining engineer.
> I find it very hard to believe there is a practicing engineer who thinks
> that you can find a gold mine only if you have collected data in a regular
> grid (if that is what you mean with “regular data"). Indeed, his methods
> can be used for usual prospecting data – which typically is irregular or
> not in a regular grid.
>
> Cheers, J.
>
> On 19 Dec 2019, at 20:04, Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> Is there a method for Kriging for irregular data, please?  I’m about 99.9%
> sure that there is not, but just thought I would double check.
>
> Thanks so much for your help!
>
> Happy Holidays!
>
> Sincerely,
> Erin
>
> --
> Erin Hodgess, PhD
> mailto: [hidden email]

Re: Kriging question, please

Joe Lewis
Hi Erin,

Depending on what you're trying to do, you may want to look into point
pattern analysis, particularly on linear networks (lots of research on how
to conduct kernel density estimations with traffic accident data)

See spatial analysis along networks (Okabe and Sugihara, 2012) and chapter
17 of spatial point patterns methodology and applications with R (Baddeley
et al. 2016) for introductions.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Joseph Lewis

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 7:45 PM Joe Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Erin,
>
> Depending on what you're trying to do, you may want to look into point
> pattern analysis, particularly on linear networks (lots of research on how
> to conduct kernel density estimations with traffic accident data)
>
> See spatial analysis along networks (Okabe and Sugihara, 2012) and chapter
> 17 of spatial point patterns methodology and applications with R (Baddeley
> et al. 2016) for introductions.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Kind regards,
> Joseph Lewis
>

> On Thu, 19 Dec 2019, 19:37 Erin Hodgess, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi again everyone:
>>
>> Sorry for the unclear question.
>>
>> Typically, I have data that is at say, 8 locations and collected every
>> hour.  So spatial and/or spatial-temporal kriging works fine.
>>
>> In this case, I am dealing with traffic accident data.  So it can be at
>> "any" location and at any time.  I had the (probably incorrect) impression
>> that kriging may not work in that setting.
>>
>> Any info much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks for your understanding.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Erin
>>

>> Erin Hodgess, PhD
>> mailto: [hidden email]
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 12:15 PM Jari Oksanen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Howdy,
>> >
>> > Danie Kriege  [dɑniː ˈkriχə]
>> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/Afrikaans> was a mining
>> engineer.
>> > I find it very hard to believe there is a practicing engineer who thinks
>> > that you can find a gold mine only if you have collected data in a
>> regular
>> > grid (if that is what you mean with “regular data"). Indeed, his methods
>> > can be used for usual prospecting data – which typically is irregular or
>> > not in a regular grid.
>> >
>> > Cheers, J.
>> >
>> > On 19 Dec 2019, at 20:04, Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello!
>> >
>> > Is there a method for Kriging for irregular data, please?  I’m about
>> 99.9%
>> > sure that there is not, but just thought I would double check.
>> >
>> > Thanks so much for your help!
>> >
>> > Happy Holidays!
>> >
>> > Sincerely,
>> > Erin