Kriging and plotting categorical variables

Kriging and plotting categorical variables

Guy Bayegnak
Dear all,
I am working with a set of categorical variables labelled: Group1, Group2, Group3,  and Group4. I created a new categorical variables where I replaced the observation Goup1 to Group4 by 1 to 4.  Then I performed Ordinary Kriging on the new variable [1-4].  But the outcome of the kriging ranges only from 2.0 to 3.5. Basically Goup1 is lost.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Also please let me know how to do interpolation on categorical variables in general.

Thanks,

Guy Bayegnak, M.Sc. P.Geol,
Supervisor Groundwater Quality
Senior Hydrogeologist
Groundwater Policy | Water Policy Branch | Alberta Environment and Parks | 780 644 8368
7th Floor, Oxbridge Place | 9820 -106 street Edmonton Alberta T5K 2J6 | Canada

This email and any files transmitted with it are confide...{{dropped:10}}

Re: Kriging and plotting categorical variables

Tomislav Hengl-5
As an efficient alternative to kriging you could try using RF with buffer
distances to classes incorporated into the model:

https://peerj.com/articles/5518/

Also described in:

https://envirometrix.github.io/PredictiveSoilMapping/soilmapping-using-mla.html#spatial-prediction-of-soil-types

New kid in the class.