Introducing new local spatial statistic, ELSA, and Entrogram (a variogram-like graph)

Introducing new local spatial statistic, ELSA, and Entrogram (a variogram-like graph)

Babak Naimi-2
Dear All,

Hope you are safe and well!

I am writing to inform you that the new R package, elsa, is released on
CRAN. This package is a framework that provides the methods for quantifying
the new local spatial statictic, named "entropy-based local indicator of
spatial association" (ELSA), that can be used for both continuous and
categorical data. In addition, global spatial structure can be measured
using a new variogram-like diagram, called entrogram.

The package vignette provides a quick demonstration of some main functions
in the package:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/elsa/vignettes/elsa.html

The paper that introduces ELSA is published in the journal of spatial
statistics and is available here:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2211675318300228

The package, elsa, is also followed with functions to calculate other LISAs
and global statistics for different types of spatial datasets (i.e.,
Raster, SpatialPointsDataFrame, SpatialPolygonsDataFrame).

Best regards,

Babak Naimi

*University Researcher, Department of Geosciences and Geography,The
University of Helsinki,Gustaf Hällströmin Katu 2, 00014
HelsinkiFinlandHomepage I: http://r-gis.net <http://r-gis.net/>  Homepage
II: http://biogeoinformatics.org <http://biogeoinformatics.org/>  *

Re: Introducing new local spatial statistic, ELSA, and Entrogram (a variogram-like graph)

chris english-2
Babak,

Look forward to exploring elsa, any plans to open source the journal
article?

Chris English

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 1:08 AM Babak Naimi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Hope you are safe and well!
>
> I am writing to inform you that the new R package, elsa, is released on
> CRAN. This package is a framework that provides the methods for quantifying
> the new local spatial statictic, named "entropy-based local indicator of
> spatial association" (ELSA), that can be used for both continuous and
> categorical data. In addition, global spatial structure can be measured
> using a new variogram-like diagram, called entrogram.
>
> The package vignette provides a quick demonstration of some main functions
> in the package:
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/elsa/vignettes/elsa.html
>
> The paper that introduces ELSA is published in the journal of spatial
> statistics and is available here:
>
> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2211675318300228
>
> The package, elsa, is also followed with functions to calculate other LISAs
> and global statistics for different types of spatial datasets (i.e.,
> Raster, SpatialPointsDataFrame, SpatialPolygonsDataFrame).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Babak Naimi
>

> *University Researcher, Department of Geosciences and Geography,The
> University of Helsinki,Gustaf Hällströmin Katu 2, 00014
> HelsinkiFinlandHomepage I: http://r-gis.net <http://r-gis.net/>  Homepage
> II: http://biogeoinformatics.org <http://biogeoinformatics.org/>  *

Re: Introducing new local spatial statistic, ELSA, and Entrogram (a variogram-like graph)

Babak Naimi-2
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, the article is not open but you can
find the PDF from the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpjra60b5yyzwjg/Naimi_2019_ELSA.pdf?dl=0

Best regards,
Babak

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 12:32 AM chris english <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Babak,
>
> Look forward to exploring elsa, any plans to open source the journal
> article?
>
> Chris English
>
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 1:08 AM Babak Naimi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Hope you are safe and well!
>>
>> I am writing to inform you that the new R package, elsa, is released on
>> CRAN. This package is a framework that provides the methods for
>> quantifying
>> the new local spatial statictic, named "entropy-based local indicator of
>> spatial association" (ELSA), that can be used for both continuous and
>> categorical data. In addition, global spatial structure can be measured
>> using a new variogram-like diagram, called entrogram.
>>
>> The package vignette provides a quick demonstration of some main functions
>> in the package:
>>
>> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/elsa/vignettes/elsa.html
>>
>> The paper that introduces ELSA is published in the journal of spatial
>> statistics and is available here:
>>
>> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2211675318300228
>>
>> The package, elsa, is also followed with functions to calculate other
>> LISAs
>> and global statistics for different types of spatial datasets (i.e.,
>> Raster, SpatialPointsDataFrame, SpatialPolygonsDataFrame).
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Babak Naimi
>>

>> *University Researcher, Department of Geosciences and Geography,The
>> University of Helsinki,Gustaf Hällströmin Katu 2, 00014
>> HelsinkiFinlandHomepage I: http://r-gis.net <http://r-gis.net/>  Homepage
>> II: http://biogeoinformatics.org <http://biogeoinformatics.org/>  *

Re: [FORGED] Re: Introducing new local spatial statistic, ELSA, and Entrogram (a variogram-like graph)

Rolf Turner

On 8/04/20 10:49 am, Babak Naimi wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, the article is not open but you can
> find the PDF from the following link:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpjra60b5yyzwjg/Naimi_2019_ELSA.pdf?dl=0

If the paper is not open source, are you not violating copyright by
making it available in this way?

Could get you into trouble.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Statistics

Re: [FORGED] Re: Introducing new local spatial statistic, ELSA, and Entrogram (a variogram-like graph)

chris english-2
Thank you one and all. Since we fled N Cyprus after the coup we've
been without university library privileges, so more limited to research
areas of neuropsychology and metric development. But I still aim to
predict that flood over Nicosia, 1349 AD.

The vignette is quite useful, and I especially like the capability to assign
dis/similarity zonally and believe this will have many applications that,
while in
theory may be either aesthetic or arbitrary, my sense is the current
subsuming
hierarchies is implausible. But then I'm a painter.

Open source of the article was a conflation of two somewhat overlapping
propositions, but of course an author may share his work. Just happy
to read about and think on the underlying. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Chris

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 7:00 PM Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/04/20 10:49 am, Babak Naimi wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, the article is not open but you can
> > find the PDF from the following link:
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpjra60b5yyzwjg/Naimi_2019_ELSA.pdf?dl=0
>
> If the paper is not open source, are you not violating copyright by
> making it available in this way?
>
> Could get you into trouble.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner
>
> --
> Honorary Research Fellow
> Department of Statistics
> University of Auckland
> Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276

Re: [FORGED] Re: Introducing new local spatial statistic, ELSA, and Entrogram (a variogram-like graph)

Babak Naimi-2
Hi Rolf,

You right, Thank you. I replied to all by mistake. I intended to send the
PDF to Chris. I removed the link.

Cheers,
Babak