Introducing: an R package for calling functions within a running instance of QGIS (ALPHA)

Introducing: an R package for calling functions within a running instance of QGIS (ALPHA)

Kevin Stadler
Hello,

as part of my Google Summer of Code project I am currently developing
a QGIS plugin that allows controlling a running QGIS instance through
a HTTP interface -- and an R package making use of this 'Network API'
along with it.

This package is quite different from the existing RQGIS in that it
connects to a running instance of QGIS, meaning that programmatic
control from within R + user interaction can be combined (the QGIS
instance being controlled does not even have to run on the same
machine).

Both components (QGIS plugin and R package) are still deep in alpha
stages, however for those interested there is now sufficient
documentation to give testing a shot, and I would welcome all feedback
and suggestions. This simple example tutorial vignette should give you
an idea of how the package works:
http://qgisapi.gitlab.io/rqgisapi/articles/tutorial.html

Instructions for installing the two components can be found here:
https://gitlab.com/qgisapi/networkapi#testing
and here:
http://qgisapi.gitlab.io/rqgisapi/#installation

I will be expanding the package as well developing example use cases
in the form of Rmarkdown and JuPyteR notebooks until the end of the
summer, so I'd be happy to receive requests for QGIS functionality
that you'd like to see exposed to R (access to processing functions in
particular is not implemented at the moment). If there is more
interest I'd be happy to keep posting regular updates about new
features to this list too.

Best!
Kevin

Test for difference between two pint patterns

Paolo Piras
Hi folks,

I'm new in point pattern analysis; thus my question could appear trivial for experts;

Given two ppp objects (spatstat package) [with different number of points] I'm looking for a way to assess the statistical difference in the distributions of points. studpermu.test() seems doing the job but for groups of point patterns while I have only two distributions.

Kest() could be used to look for deviation from Poisson distribution but I should compare the two patterns.

I think a hand-made permutation test where points are randomly re-assigned between the two distribution and K stat is computed at any run (and compared with the observed ones) could be ok but I'm not sure however.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Paolo

Re: Test for difference between two pint patterns

Marcelino de la Cruz Rot
Hi Paolo, see the help page of Kcross(), pcfcross() or any other crossed
function in spatstat (and also that of envelope() for the tests).

Best,

Marcelino

--
Marcelino de la Cruz Rot
Depto. de Biología y Geología

Re: Introducing: an R package for calling functions within a running instance of QGIS (ALPHA)

Kevin Stadler
As my Google Summer of Code project is coming to an end, here's some
updates on the R package:

1. we renamed the package to 'qgisremote', so the repository and
documentation are now available from here:
https://gitlab.com/qgisapi/qgisremote
https://qgisapi.gitlab.io/qgisremote/
The corresponding QGIS plugin can still be found at its old address --
it has also been greatly expanded, so if you've installed a previous
version of it be sure to update both the R package and the plugin,
otherwise new features will most likely not work:
https://gitlab.com/qgisapi/networkapi

2. thanks to the feedback and comments I received from this mailing
list, I've both fixed numerous issues as well as added new
functionality that several people asked about, especially regarding
simple manipulations of QGIS rendering options from R. The package now
has dedicated functions for getting and setting styles in QGIS' XML
specification format, as well as some helper functions that simplify
very basic style spec manipulation tasks. To get a quick idea of how
the functions work, see the renderer article here:
https://qgisapi.gitlab.io/qgisremote/articles/renderers.html

I hope the package (and QGIS plugin) will be useful to some of you,
Best!
Kevin