How do you produce a output table containing distances between mineral grains at various azimuthal directions?

How do you produce a output table containing distances between mineral grains at various azimuthal directions?

Michael Stillwagon
I am using *R* and I am a senior at Western Carolina University and working
on my senior thesis and the data set in which I have are images of mineral
thin sections all separated into different groups of grains, magnetite,
quartz, etc.. either being a vector layer or a raster layer or any other
image format needed. I am wanting to calculate the distance between each
grain or the grain spacing, boundary to boundary, *NOT* center to center and
also have those distances given every 10 degrees on a 0 to 360 degree
directional scale. Is there any code out there that does this very exact
method? Or is there another program, ArcGIS 10 or Fragstats, R preferably.

Thanks,

-Michael Stillwagon

Re: How do you produce a output table containing distances between mineral grains at various azimuthal directions?

Sarah Goslee
Michael,

Do you have quantitative data, or just images. If the former, seeing an
example of what you have and what you'd like the output to be would
be very helpful. If the latter, a program like ImageJ (free and Open
Source; google for it) might be more what you need.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org