Help

Bakary Faty

Dear,

I'm writing to express my wish to join R-sig-geo list users.
I was doing a search on the net to know how to build an isohyet map and I came across this R code.
However, I stumbled upon a problem from the line :
grd <- expand.grid(x=seq(minx, maxx, by=pixel), y=seq(miny, maxy, by=pixel)),
I get the following error message:
default method not implemented for type 'S4'. I want to know how resolve this error.

Also, I would like to ask you only at the line level:
minx <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[1,1]
maxx <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[1,2]
miny <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[2,1]
maxy <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[2,2],
if I should limit myself to "rain_data_UTM" or write completely:
rain_data_UTM at bbox[,].
 By the way, this is the pointfile I reconstructed.
You can find it attached to the mail.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Bakary

pointfile.csv (332 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Help

Ben Tupper
Welcome to r-sig-geo!

I don't think that you haven't provided us enough information so that we
can help.  On the other hand, does the example below using expand.grid help?

minx <- 20
maxx <- 25
miny <- 31
maxy <- 36
pixel <- 1
grd <- expand.grid(x = seq(minx, maxx, by=pixel), y = seq(miny, maxy,
by=pixel))

Ben

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 11:41 AM Bakary Faty <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear,
>
> I'm writing to express my wish to join R-sig-geo list users.
> I was doing a search on the net to know how to build an isohyet map and I
> came across this R code.
> However, I stumbled upon a problem from the line :
> grd <- expand.grid(x=seq(minx, maxx, by=pixel), y=seq(miny, maxy,
> by=pixel)),
> I get the following error message:
> default method not implemented for type 'S4'. I want to know how resolve
> this error.
>
> Also, I would like to ask you only at the line level:
> minx <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[1,1]
> maxx <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[1,2]
> miny <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[2,1]
> maxy <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[2,2],
> if I should limit myself to "rain_data_UTM" or write completely:
> rain_data_UTM at bbox[,].
>  By the way, this is the pointfile I reconstructed.
> You can find it attached to the mail.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards
>

> Bakary

Ben Tupper
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Science
West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
http://www.bigelow.org/
https://eco.bigelow.org

Re: Help

Bakary Faty
Thank you for appreciated reply,

I explane you exactly what I want to do with this R code attached.
I want to adapt this code to my data to build an isohyet map.
But i have some difficulties to adapt it to my case.
I will be very happy when you will help my to adapt this R code (attached)
to my case.
You can find attached the you R code and my data file.
Best regards

Le jeu. 9 janv. 2020 à 18:41, Bakary Faty <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Thank you for appreciated reply,

I explane you exactly what I want to do with this R code attached.
I want to adapt this code to my data to build an isohyet map.
But i have some difficulties to adapt it to my case.
I will be very happy when you will help my to adapt this R code (attached)
to my case.
You can find attached the you R code, my data file and my sahefile of watershed.

Best regards

--

Bakary

--

Bakary

DATAFILE_FOR_ISOHYET.csv (1K) Download Attachment
R_code_for_rainfall_isohyet_map.R (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Help

Ben Tupper
Your assignments that look like...

minx <-  rain_data_UTM at bbox[1,1]

are not valid R statements - and that will cause an error.  Instead,
obtain a matrix of the bounding box using the bbox() function.  Then
extract your coordinates from that. I think you want...

bb <- bbox(rain_data_UTM)
minx <- bb[1,1]
maxx <- bb[1,2]
miny <- bb[2,1]
maxy <- bb[2,2]

If you haven't seen this, https://www.rspatial.org/ , it is well worth your
time.  There are a lot of other great resources about using spatial data in
R.  Try searching the Rseek.org. Like this
https://rseek.org/?q=spatial+tutorials  It is a gold mine.

--
Ben Tupper
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Science
West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
http://www.bigelow.org/
https://eco.bigelow.org

Re: Help

Bakary Faty
Thanks very much angain,
 I'll check them out.

Best regards

--

Bakary

Re: Help

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020, Ben Tupper wrote:

> Your assignments that look like...
>
> minx <-  rain_data_UTM at bbox[1,1]
>
> are not valid R statements - and that will cause an error.

I think that this might be the mail or some other system replacing
commercial at by at. Better syntax might be:

minx <-  slot(rain_data_UTM, "bbox")[1,1]

if this was the real intention, as slot() is the preferred script-level S4
slot accessor, although one finds lots of untidy examples using
commercial at in blogs and elsewhere on the net. However, your version is
obviously much easier to read:

> Instead,
> obtain a matrix of the bounding box using the bbox() function.  Then
> extract your coordinates from that. I think you want...
>
> bb <- bbox(rain_data_UTM)
> minx <- bb[1,1]
> maxx <- bb[1,2]
> miny <- bb[2,1]
> maxy <- bb[2,2]

And yes, this is very good advice!

Roger

> If you haven't seen this, https://www.rspatial.org/ , it is well worth your
> time.  There are a lot of other great resources about using spatial data in
> R.  Try searching the Rseek.org. Like this
> https://rseek.org/?q=spatial+tutorials  It is a gold mine.
>

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 1:42 PM Bakary Faty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for appreciated reply,
>>
>> I explane you exactly what I want to do with this R code attached.
>> I want to adapt this code to my data to build an isohyet map.
>> But i have some difficulties to adapt it to my case.
>> I will be very happy when you will help my to adapt this R code (attached)
>> to my case.
>> You can find attached the you R code, my data file and my sahefile of
>> watershed.
>>
>> Best regards
>>

>> Le jeu. 9 janv. 2020 à 17:47, Ben Tupper <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>>> Welcome to r-sig-geo!
>>>
>>> I don't think that you haven't provided us enough information so that we
>>> can help.  On the other hand, does the example below using expand.grid help?
>>>
>>> minx <- 20
>>> maxx <- 25
>>> miny <- 31
>>> maxy <- 36
>>> pixel <- 1
>>> grd <- expand.grid(x = seq(minx, maxx, by=pixel), y = seq(miny, maxy,
>>> by=pixel))
>>>
>>> Ben

>>> --
>>> Ben Tupper
>>> Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Science
>>> West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
>>> http://www.bigelow.org/
>>> https://eco.bigelow.org
>>>

>> --
>>

>> Bakary

Re: Help

Micha Silver

On 09/01/2020 21:02, Bakary Faty wrote:

> Thank you for appreciated reply,
>
> I explane you exactly what I want to do with this R code attached.
> I want to adapt this code to my data to build an isohyet map.
> But i have some difficulties to adapt it to my case.
> I will be very happy when you will help my to adapt this R code (attached)
> to my case.
> You can find attached the you R code and my data file.
> Best regards

I made two small changes in your code, and it works fine:

  * First I used the suggestion (earlier in this thread) to create your
    grid.
  * Then, you had an error in your call to autoKrige.
  * After getting that right, I created isohyetal lines with
rasterToContour

Here's my version

library(automap)
library(raster)
library(rgdal)

## READ INPUT FILE
rain_data <- read.csv(file="DATAFILE_FOR_ISOHYET.csv")

point_coords <- rain_data[c("Lon","Lat")]
coordinates(rain_data) <- point_coords
p4str <- CRS("+init=epsg:4326")
proj4string(rain_data) <- p4str

## CONVERTION TO UTM
p4str_UTM <- CRS("+init=epsg:32633")
rain_data_UTM <- spTransform(rain_data, p4str_UTM)

bb <- bbox(rain_data_UTM)
minx <- bb[1,1]
maxx <- bb[1,2]
miny <- bb[2,1]
maxy <- bb[2,2]

## EACH PIXEL WILL BE 1000 METERS
pixel <- 1000
grd <- expand.grid(x=seq(minx, maxx, by=pixel), y=seq(miny, maxy,
by=pixel))
coordinates(grd) <- ~x+y
gridded(grd) <- TRUE
proj4string(grd) <- p4str_UTM

## KRIGING, USING AUTOKRIGE WHICH CREATES A BEST GUESS VARIOGRAM
# OK_rain <- autoKrige(Rainfall_value ~ 1, rain_data_UTM, grd)
# There is no variable "Rainfall_value" in your data,
# It is called RAIN_DATA
OK_rain = autoKrige(formula = RAIN_DATA ~1,
                     input_data = rain_data_UTM,
                     new_data = grd)

## TRASFORM TO RASTER
rain_rast <- raster(OK_rain$krige_output)

summary(rain_rast)

# Minimumn is 540, max is 1735
# So create isohyetal lines about every 100 mm and plot

isohyets = rasterToContour(rain_rast, nlevels = 12)
plot(rain_rast)
lines(isohyets, add = TRUE)

> Le jeu. 9 janv. 2020 à 18:41, Bakary Faty <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>     Thank you for appreciated reply,
>
>     I explane you exactly what I want to do with this R code attached.
>     I want to adapt this code to my data to build an isohyet map.
>     But i have some difficulties to adapt it to my case.
>     I will be very happy when you will help my to adapt this R code
>     (attached)
>     to my case.
>     You can find attached the you R code, my data file and my sahefile
>     of watershed.
>
>     Best regards
>

>     Le jeu. 9 janv. 2020 à 17:47, Ben Tupper <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>         Welcome to r-sig-geo!
>
>         I don't think that you haven't provided us enough information
>         so that we can help.  On the other hand, does the example
>         below using expand.grid help?
>
>         minx <- 20
>         maxx <- 25
>         miny <- 31
>         maxy <- 36
>         pixel <- 1
>         grd <- expand.grid(x = seq(minx, maxx, by=pixel), y =
>         seq(miny, maxy, by=pixel))
>
>         Ben
>
>         On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 11:41 AM Bakary Faty
>

>             Dear,
>
>             I'm writing to express my wish to join R-sig-geo list users.
>             I was doing a search on the net to know how to build an
>             isohyet map and I came across this R code.
>             However, I stumbled upon a problem from the line :
>             grd <- expand.grid(x=seq(minx, maxx, by=pixel),
>             y=seq(miny, maxy, by=pixel)),
>             I get the following error message:
>             default method not implemented for type 'S4'. I want to
>             know how resolve this error.
>
>             Also, I would like to ask you only at the line level:
>             minx <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[1,1]
>             maxx <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[1,2]
>             miny <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[2,1]
>             maxy <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[2,2],
>             if I should limit myself to "rain_data_UTM" or write
>             completely:
>             rain_data_UTM at bbox[,].
>              By the way, this is the pointfile I reconstructed.
>             You can find it attached to the mail.
>
>             Thanks in advance
>
>             Best regards
>

>             Bakary
>

>         --
>         Ben Tupper
>         Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Science
>         West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
>         http://www.bigelow.org/
>         https://eco.bigelow.org
>

>     --
>

>     Bakary
>

> --
>

> Bakary

Micha Silver
Ben Gurion Univ.
Sde Boker, Remote Sensing Lab
cell: +972-523-665918

Re: Help

Bakary Faty
Thank you very much for help,
The code works fine but when I add the shapefile of my watershed
I can not plot it.

--

Bakary

Re: Help

Micha Silver

Hello Bakary:

Please keep questions on the list, so that others can benefit from the conversation.

I see that the Basins shapefile you sent is declared to be in Long/Lat WGS84 Coordinate Reference System, however the coordinates (the X-Y locations) look like it is already projected to UTM 33. Is it possible there is some mixup in the Coordinate Reference System of the Basins shapefile?

(That would explain why the basins layer does not appear on your plot)

Furthermore, I think that you are working in Senegal/Gambia (from the coordinates in the DATAFILE). If so, why did you choose to project to UTM 33 in your script? Isn't Senegal in UTM zone 28?

Attached is the corrected script (changed to UTM28). The corrected basin shapefile is sent privately. (too big for the list)

Regards, Micha

On 12/01/2020 21:29, Bakary Faty wrote:

Dear Micha Silver

I'm writing you this email following your contribution on my isohyet map code, in 'r-sig-geo'.

I really appreciated your help which helped me a lot. I can draw the isohyets but I can't draw the contour of my study basin.

You can see where the problem is in the code to make a change again?

You will find the files of the watershed and my code R attached.

Thank you very much by advance

Best regards

> [...]

>             Dear,
>
>             I'm writing to express my wish to join R-sig-geo list users.
>             I was doing a search on the net to know how to build an
>             isohyet map and I came across this R code.
>             However, I stumbled upon a problem from the line :
>             grd <- expand.grid(x=seq(minx, maxx, by=pixel),
>             y=seq(miny, maxy, by=pixel)),
>             I get the following error message:
>             default method not implemented for type 'S4'. I want to
>             know how resolve this error.
>
>             Also, I would like to ask you only at the line level:
>             minx <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[1,1]
>             maxx <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[1,2]
>             miny <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[2,1]
>             maxy <- rain_data_UTM at bbox[2,2],
>             if I should limit myself to "rain_data_UTM" or write
>             completely:
>             rain_data_UTM at bbox[,].
>              By the way, this is the pointfile I reconstructed.

+972-523-665918

do_R_code_for_isohyet_map[R-sig-Geo].R (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Help

Bakary Faty
Dear Silver,

Thank for your help.

I think there had been a mix-up in the Coordinate Rference System. When I
plot this shapefile I get
it in the UTM Coordinate.
Le Senegal is in Zone 28 North. The watershed on what I work is shared by
trois Countries (Senegal, Gambie and Guinea).
But in the choose of UTM 33 in my script is an error.
Thank very much.

Best regards

--

Bakary