Quantcast

Great Circle distances in Automap, Gstat

Great Circle distances in Automap, Gstat

srp868
Hello

I am using IDW and Kriging from these two libraries and have spatial data in
Lat/Lon
coordinates. I am a bit confused about how to specify that i need great
circle
distances in my calculations. Any advice welcome

Thanks

Sandeep

Re: Great Circle distances in Automap, Gstat

edzer
library(sp)
?is.projected
?CRS

Please note that to my knowledge (but I might be wrong) R does not have
kriging functions with ready-to-go covariance functions that are valid
on spherical coordinates. Of course you can write your own.

Hth,

On 10/05/2011 11:37 PM, Sandeep Patil wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am using IDW and Kriging from these two libraries and have spatial data in
> Lat/Lon
> coordinates. I am a bit confused about how to specify that i need great
> circle
> distances in my calculations. Any advice welcome
>
> Thanks
>
> Sandeep

8333081, Fax: +49 251 8339763  http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de
http://www.52north.org/geostatistics      [hidden email]

Re: Great Circle distances in Automap, Gstat

Paul Hiemstra-2
So i think that projecting your data first would be a good idea. Saves
you a lot of trouble with great circle distances. For reprojection of
sp-objects you can use the spTransform function (rgdal).

cheers,
Paul

On 10/06/2011 07:25 AM, Edzer Pebesma wrote:

> library(sp)
> ?is.projected
> ?CRS
>
> Please note that to my knowledge (but I might be wrong) R does not
> have kriging functions with ready-to-go covariance functions that are
> valid on spherical coordinates. Of course you can write your own.
>
> Hth,
>
> On 10/05/2011 11:37 PM, Sandeep Patil wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I am using IDW and Kriging from these two libraries and have spatial
>> data in
>> Lat/Lon
>> coordinates. I am a bit confused about how to specify that i need great
>> circle
>> distances in my calculations. Any advice welcome
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Sandeep
>>
>>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Paul Hiemstra, Ph.D.
Global Climate Division
Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI)
Wilhelminalaan 10 | 3732 GK | De Bilt | Kamer B 3.39
P.O. Box 201 | 3730 AE | De Bilt
tel: +31 30 2206 494

http://intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul
http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/paul-hiemstra/20/30b/770