Getting started with geostatistics in R

Mark Payne-2
Dear R-sig-geo-ers,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good entry-level reference
on Geostatistics, particularly with an R flavour. I've read Roger
Bivand's ASDAR book, and found it very useful, but I struggled a lot
with the later chapters that came down to the actual nuts and bolts of
geostatistics - it felt like I was missing a lot of the required
knowledge. Can anyone recommend a good primer to fill in the gaps?

Best wishes,

Mark

Re: Getting started with geostatistics in R

Rich Shepard
On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Mark Payne wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good entry-level reference on
> Geostatistics, particularly with an R flavour. I've read Roger Bivand's
> ASDAR book, and found it very useful, but I struggled a lot with the later
> chapters that came down to the actual nuts and bolts of geostatistics - it
> felt like I was missing a lot of the required knowledge. Can anyone
> recommend a good primer to fill in the gaps?

Mark,

   A book I bought and read many years ago was my introduction to
geostatistics: "Geostatistics for Natural Resource Evaluation" by Pierre
Goovaerts. Published by Oxford Univ. Press in 1997.

HTH,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |      Have knowledge, will travel.
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |

Re: Getting started with geostatistics in R

dfifield
I found  "Geostatistics Without Tears"  (http://www.ibrarian.net/navon/page.jsp?paperid=15417085&se" m=terrain+2) to be a good gentle introduction.

Dave
Dave Fifield
Dave@mun.ca

Re: Getting started with geostatistics in R

dfifield
Oops, URL got mangled in my last post. It should be:

http://www.ibrarian.net/navon/page.jsp?paperid=15417085&searchTerm=terrain+2

Dave