GLOBE DEM in R?

Andy Bunn-3
Is the GLOBE DEM accessible in R via a package? I usually use raster::getData() when I need elev data but I need to sample a SPDF of a few thousand points with latitudes higher than the SRTM covers. Thoughts appreciated.

-Andy

Re: GLOBE DEM in R?

Michael Sumner-2
The only available global DEM in an R package that I know is geomapdata
which has Etopo5 (or equivalent) in it.

Otherwise there is marmap with getNOAA.bathy() function, and I would look
at xtractomatic as well for access to online services.

I tend to keep Etopo1, Etopo2, GEBCO14, and a bunch of other non-global
ones in local files since we use them intensively, and happy to help if you
need guidance with any of those.

There is IBCSO in polar form the southern hemisphere, but not sure if
there's an equivalent for the north?

Generally I go for the NetCDF version (either .nc or .grd) now that ncdf4
is fully supported by CRAN, otherwise use GeoTIFF if they provide it.
Sometimes need some augmentation when reading with raster() to make sure
things are interpreted fully/perfectly, but mostly it's pretty good.

If there are other sources I'm keen to hear as well.

Cheers, Mike.

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 at 09:08 Andy Bunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is the GLOBE DEM accessible in R via a package? I usually use
> raster::getData() when I need elev data but I need to sample a SPDF of a
> few thousand points with latitudes higher than the SRTM covers. Thoughts
> appreciated.
>
> -Andy

Dr. Michael Sumner
Software and Database Engineer
Australian Antarctic Division
203 Channel Highway
Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia

Re: GLOBE DEM in R?

Ben Tupper
Hi,

You might give the Natural Earth topography a shake...

https://github.com/BigelowLab/nearth

I don't know how it compares to the ETOPO datasets.

Cheers,
Ben

> On Nov 9, 2016, at 7:02 PM, Michael Sumner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The only available global DEM in an R package that I know is geomapdata
> which has Etopo5 (or equivalent) in it.
>
> Otherwise there is marmap with getNOAA.bathy() function, and I would look
> at xtractomatic as well for access to online services.
>
> I tend to keep Etopo1, Etopo2, GEBCO14, and a bunch of other non-global
> ones in local files since we use them intensively, and happy to help if you
> need guidance with any of those.
>
> There is IBCSO in polar form the southern hemisphere, but not sure if
> there's an equivalent for the north?
>
> Generally I go for the NetCDF version (either .nc or .grd) now that ncdf4
> is fully supported by CRAN, otherwise use GeoTIFF if they provide it.
> Sometimes need some augmentation when reading with raster() to make sure
> things are interpreted fully/perfectly, but mostly it's pretty good.
>
> If there are other sources I'm keen to hear as well.
>
> Cheers, Mike.
>

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 at 09:08 Andy Bunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is the GLOBE DEM accessible in R via a package? I usually use
>> raster::getData() when I need elev data but I need to sample a SPDF of a
>> few thousand points with latitudes higher than the SRTM covers. Thoughts
>> appreciated.
>>
>> -Andy

> Dr. Michael Sumner
> Software and Database Engineer
> Australian Antarctic Division
> 203 Channel Highway
> Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia

Ben Tupper
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
60 Bigelow Drive, P.O. Box 380
East Boothbay, Maine 04544
http://www.bigelow.org

Re: GLOBE DEM in R?

Hollister, Jeff
Andy,

I have been working on a package for accessing elevation data, elevatr.  It is not yet on CRAN, but you can get the current version at https://github.com/jhollist/elevatr.

For points it is currently using the USGS EPQS and Mapzen's Elevation Service.  The Mapzen elevation service does have global coverage and pulls from a variety of sources.  For higher latitudes it is using GMTED.

You'll probably run into service limits.  I'm hoping to add some functionality that will conform to Mapzen's limits, but that hasn't been done yet...

Any questions or comments about the package, let me know.

Cheers,
Jeff

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 22:07:35 +0000
From: Andy Bunn <[hidden email]>
To: R-sig-Geo <[hidden email]>
Subject: [R-sig-Geo] GLOBE DEM in R?

Is the GLOBE DEM accessible in R via a package? I usually use raster::getData() when I need elev data but I need to sample a SPDF of a few thousand points with latitudes higher than the SRTM covers. Thoughts appreciated.

-Andy

Re: GLOBE DEM in R?

Andy Bunn-3
Cool. Thanks for the suggestions all.

On 11/10/16, 5:59 AM, "R-sig-Geo on behalf of Hollister, Jeff"
<[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]>