Elevation data

Miluji Sb
Dear all.

Is there a way to download global elevation data at the 1° x 1° resolution
in R using a given set of coordinates?

I know about the getData() function but can many coordinates be passed
through this? Thanks!

Sincerely,

Milu

Re: Elevation data

Michael Sumner-2
Passed through? Maybe you want ?raster::extract

There are a few versions of global elevation on CRAN, necessarily at low
resolution but no overall summary afaik (someone should do this :).

This is one: https://cloud.r-project.org/web/packages/GEOmap/index.html

If you have the stomach for development versions of packages see elevatr:
https://github.com/jhollist/elevatr

I tend to have the high-resolution files at hand because we use them
constantly, the main ones are Gebco14/Gebco08 and Etopo1/Etopo2 (from
Smith-Sandwell).

There's a reasonable overview here, you probably should find a specific
data set that is at the resolution you are after already, and you can cite
its derivation for your work:

http://vterrain.org/Elevation/global.html

Cheers, Mike.

--
Dr. Michael Sumner
Software and Database Engineer

Re: Elevation data

Miluji Sb
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your reply and the suggestions.

Ideally, I would like a raster from which I can extract elevation at 1° x
1° resolution. I do not have much experience with working with DEM but have
work with data such as GPW.

I will definitely look at the datasets. Could you kindly suggest one that I
could convert to raster and extract? Hope that's not a silly question.

Sincerely,

Milu

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:51 AM, Michael Sumner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Passed through? Maybe you want ?raster::extract
>
> There are a few versions of global elevation on CRAN, necessarily at low
> resolution but no overall summary afaik (someone should do this :).
>
> This is one: https://cloud.r-project.org/web/packages/GEOmap/index.html
>
> If you have the stomach for development versions of packages see elevatr:
> https://github.com/jhollist/elevatr
>
> I tend to have the high-resolution files at hand because we use them
> constantly, the main ones are Gebco14/Gebco08 and Etopo1/Etopo2 (from
> Smith-Sandwell).
>
> There's a reasonable overview here, you probably should find a specific
> data set that is at the resolution you are after already, and you can cite
> its derivation for your work:
>
> http://vterrain.org/Elevation/global.html
>
> Cheers, Mike.
>
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 at 10:20 Miluji Sb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all.
>>
>> Is there a way to download global elevation data at the 1° x 1° resolution
>> in R using a given set of coordinates?
>>
>> I know about the getData() function but can many coordinates be passed
>> through this? Thanks!
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Milu

>> University of Tasmania Electronic Communications Policy (December, 2014).
>> This email is confidential, and is for the intended recipient only.
>> Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on any of it by
>> anyone outside the intended recipient organisation is prohibited and may be
>> a criminal offence. Please delete if obtained in error and email
>> confirmation to the sender. The views expressed in this email are not
>> necessarily the views of the University of Tasmania, unless clearly
>> intended otherwise.
>> .
>>
> --
> Dr. Michael Sumner
> Software and Database Engineer
> Australian Antarctic Division
> 203 Channel Highway
> Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia

Re: Elevation data

Bacou, Melanie
R raster::getData("SRTM", ...) will return elevation rasters at 90m
resolution.
See:
https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/raster/versions/2.5-8/topics/getData

http://www.cgiar-csi.org/data/srtm-90m-digital-elevation-database-v4-1

--Mel.

On 1/11/2017 6:26 AM, Miluji Sb wrote:

> Dear Michael,
>
> Thank you for your reply and the suggestions.
>
> Ideally, I would like a raster from which I can extract elevation at 1° x
> 1° resolution. I do not have much experience with working with DEM but have
> work with data such as GPW.
>
> I will definitely look at the datasets. Could you kindly suggest one that I
> could convert to raster and extract? Hope that's not a silly question.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Milu
>
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:51 AM, Michael Sumner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Passed through? Maybe you want ?raster::extract
>>
>> There are a few versions of global elevation on CRAN, necessarily at low
>> resolution but no overall summary afaik (someone should do this :).
>>
>> This is one: https://cloud.r-project.org/web/packages/GEOmap/index.html
>>
>> If you have the stomach for development versions of packages see elevatr:
>> https://github.com/jhollist/elevatr
>>
>> I tend to have the high-resolution files at hand because we use them
>> constantly, the main ones are Gebco14/Gebco08 and Etopo1/Etopo2 (from
>> Smith-Sandwell).
>>
>> There's a reasonable overview here, you probably should find a specific
>> data set that is at the resolution you are after already, and you can cite
>> its derivation for your work:
>>
>> http://vterrain.org/Elevation/global.html
>>
>> Cheers, Mike.
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 at 10:20 Miluji Sb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to download global elevation data at the 1° x 1° resolution
>>> in R using a given set of coordinates?
>>>
>>> I know about the getData() function but can many coordinates be passed
>>> through this? Thanks!
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Milu
>>>
>>>          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>>> University of Tasmania Electronic Communications Policy (December, 2014).
>>> This email is confidential, and is for the intended recipient only.
>>> Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on any of it by
>>> anyone outside the intended recipient organisation is prohibited and may be
>>> a criminal offence. Please delete if obtained in error and email
>>> confirmation to the sender. The views expressed in this email are not
>>> necessarily the views of the University of Tasmania, unless clearly
>>> intended otherwise.
>>> .
>>>
>> --
>> Dr. Michael Sumner
>> Software and Database Engineer
>> Australian Antarctic Division
>> 203 Channel Highway
>> Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia

Re: Elevation data

Miluji Sb
Thank you for your reply. This is what I did:

###
library(data.table)
library(raster)
library(rgdal)
library(foreign)

elevation_world <- getData('worldclim', var='alt', res=2.5)

# Aggregate Elevation to 1 degree
elevation_world_1deg <- aggregate(elevation_world, fact = 24, fun = sum)

# Extract by lon lat (1° x 1° - gcp_grid)
elevation <- cbind(gcp_grid, alt = extract(elevation_world_1deg, gcp_grid))

elevation <- as.data.frame(elevation)
###

Is this correct? Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Milu

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:11 AM, Bacou, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> R raster::getData("SRTM", ...) will return elevation rasters at 90m
> resolution.
> See:
> https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/raster/versions/2.5-
> 8/topics/getData
> http://www.cgiar-csi.org/data/srtm-90m-digital-elevation-database-v4-1
>
> --Mel.
>

> On 1/11/2017 6:26 AM, Miluji Sb wrote:
>
>> Dear Michael,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply and the suggestions.
>>
>> Ideally, I would like a raster from which I can extract elevation at 1° x
>> 1° resolution. I do not have much experience with working with DEM but
>> have
>> work with data such as GPW.
>>
>> I will definitely look at the datasets. Could you kindly suggest one that
>> could convert to raster and extract? Hope that's not a silly question.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Milu
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:51 AM, Michael Sumner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Passed through? Maybe you want ?raster::extract
>>>
>>> There are a few versions of global elevation on CRAN, necessarily at low
>>> resolution but no overall summary afaik (someone should do this :).
>>>
>>> This is one: https://cloud.r-project.org/web/packages/GEOmap/index.html
>>>
>>> If you have the stomach for development versions of packages see elevatr:
>>> https://github.com/jhollist/elevatr
>>>
>>> I tend to have the high-resolution files at hand because we use them
>>> constantly, the main ones are Gebco14/Gebco08 and Etopo1/Etopo2 (from
>>> Smith-Sandwell).
>>>
>>> There's a reasonable overview here, you probably should find a specific
>>> data set that is at the resolution you are after already, and you can
>>> cite
>>> its derivation for your work:
>>>
>>> http://vterrain.org/Elevation/global.html
>>>
>>> Cheers, Mike.
>>>
>>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 at 10:20 Miluji Sb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all.

>>> Dr. Michael Sumner
>>> Software and Database Engineer
>>> Australian Antarctic Division
>>> 203 Channel Highway
>>> Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia

Re: Elevation data

Loïc Dutrieux-2

On 13/01/2017 10:59, Miluji Sb wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. This is what I did:
>
> ###
> library(data.table)
> library(raster)
> library(rgdal)
> library(foreign)
>
> elevation_world <- getData('worldclim', var='alt', res=2.5)
>
> # Aggregate Elevation to 1 degree
> elevation_world_1deg <- aggregate(elevation_world, fact = 24, fun = sum)

Aggregating with fun=sum is a bit strange for elevation. mean or median
would certainly be a better choice.

> # Extract by lon lat (1° x 1° - gcp_grid)
> elevation <- cbind(gcp_grid, alt = extract(elevation_world_1deg, gcp_grid))

gcp_grid are points or polygons? If they are polygons, there's no need
for the aggregation step above. Also have a look at df = TRUE, which
returns a dataframe, and sp=TRUE, which returns a Spatial*DataFrame with
extracted values cbinded to the attributes of the original
Spatial*DataFrame. (both are arguments of raster::extract)

Cheers,
Loïc

> elevation <- as.data.frame(elevation)
> ###
>
> Is this correct? Thanks again!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Milu
>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:11 AM, Bacou, Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> R raster::getData("SRTM", ...) will return elevation rasters at 90m
>> resolution.
>> See:
>> https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/raster/versions/2.5-
>> 8/topics/getData
>> http://www.cgiar-csi.org/data/srtm-90m-digital-elevation-database-v4-1
>>
>> --Mel.
>>

>> On 1/11/2017 6:26 AM, Miluji Sb wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Michael,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your reply and the suggestions.
>>>
>>> Ideally, I would like a raster from which I can extract elevation at 1° x
>>> 1° resolution. I do not have much experience with working with DEM but
>>> have
>>> work with data such as GPW.
>>>
>>> I will definitely look at the datasets. Could you kindly suggest one that
>>> could convert to raster and extract? Hope that's not a silly question.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Milu
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:51 AM, Michael Sumner <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Passed through? Maybe you want ?raster::extract

Re: Elevation data

Miluji Sb
Dear Loic,

Thank you for your reply!

Re. aggregation, I agree - I will use either mean or median.

gcp_grid are points as below

structure(list(longitude = c(-179L, -178L, -177L, -177L, -177L,
-176L), latitude = c(-15L, -15L, -14L, 51L, 52L, -22L)), .Names =
c("longitude",
"latitude"), row.names = c("1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6"), class =
"data.frame")

Thank you for your suggestion on the additional options, I will look them
up. Would you say I am on the right path after the changes? Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Milu

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Loïc Dutrieux <[hidden email]