Differences Between sp and spatstat?

Rich Shepard
   I'm brand-new to R and my specific interest is spatial statistics and the
integration of R and GRASS. I just bought a copy of "Applied Spatial
Analysis with R" and have started reading it.

   I've used GRASS on linux since the mid-1990s (and Microsoft-based GIS
since the mid-1980s) and statistics in my academic and real-world work since
the the early 1970s, so my ignorance is specific to R and spatial statistics
with it. I'm a stream ecologist/fluvial geomorphologist, run my own
consultancy, and focus on the natural resource industries.

   The book references the sp package and I find another called spatstat.
What are the differences between them?

   I've also just signed up to subscribe to the R-help mail list because I
need to learn how to install packages (the instructions in the book for ctv,
and those I found on someone's Web site) aren't working for me.

   While I'll be asking a lot of questions at first I expect to be providing
answers and insights before too long.

Rich

Re: Differences Between sp and spatstat?

Roman Luštrik
sp package mainly provides classes and methods for spatial data while
spatstat provides some statistical tools for analyzing spatial phenomena
(point processes). You can access help files for both packages by entering
commands ?sp and ?spatstat into your R console.

If you're having trouble installing packages, you can bet you can find a
solution in the archives of
R-help<http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/R-help-f789696.html>.
I find StackOverflow <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/r> perfect
for coding questions in general. More specific questions should probably be
directed to specific lists like this one. Also, there's crossvalidated.com.
You might find it interesting.

Cheers,
Roman

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>wrote:

>  I'm brand-new to R and my specific interest is spatial statistics and the
> integration of R and GRASS. I just bought a copy of "Applied Spatial
> Analysis with R" and have started reading it.
>
>  I've used GRASS on linux since the mid-1990s (and Microsoft-based GIS
> since the mid-1980s) and statistics in my academic and real-world work
> since
> the the early 1970s, so my ignorance is specific to R and spatial
> statistics
> with it. I'm a stream ecologist/fluvial geomorphologist, run my own
> consultancy, and focus on the natural resource industries.
>
>  The book references the sp package and I find another called spatstat.
> What are the differences between them?
>
>  I've also just signed up to subscribe to the R-help mail list because I
> need to learn how to install packages (the instructions in the book for
> ctv,
> and those I found on someone's Web site) aren't working for me.
>
>  While I'll be asking a lot of questions at first I expect to be providing
> answers and insights before too long.
>
> Rich

In God we trust, all others bring data.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Roman Lu?trik wrote:

> sp package mainly provides classes and methods for spatial data while
> spatstat provides some statistical tools for analyzing spatial phenomena
> (point processes). You can access help files for both packages by entering
> commands ?sp and ?spatstat into your R console.

Roman,

   I'll need to read more about both to understand the specific differences
germane to my needs.

> If you're having trouble installing packages, you can bet you can find a
> solution in the archives of
> R-help<http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/R-help-f789696.html>.

   I found the solution in the R-admin manual. I could not install from the
shell but could from within R. It worked so I won't waste time wondering
why.

> I find StackOverflow <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/r> perfect
> for coding questions in general. More specific questions should probably
> be directed to specific lists like this one. Also, there's
> crossvalidated.com. You might find it interesting.

   Thanks very much for the pointers.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.          |   The Plain English Science Consultant
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.   |   Helping Ensure Our Clients' Futures

Re: Differences Between sp and spatstat?

Ben Madin
I'm not an expert in this, but one of the important aspects of sp is that it provides a set of classes for consistently handling spatial data. Other packages (such as spatstat) provide more specific analytic capacity. Even if the more specific packages use their own classes, there is now at least a 'common' data structure with which you can import data to R and make it available to other packages.

In a nutshell, you will probably find that many other spatial packages require sp.

I would suggest looking at http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html

cheers

Ben