Consolidated SRS database/list?

Vijay Lulla
Dear list members,
A few years ago Roger Bivand posted a discussion (
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2015-August/023204.html ) about
consolidating SRS definitions into a SQLite database and I am wondering if
there has been any development along those lines.  Specifically, is there
any consolidated collection of SRS definitions in R (either a data.frame or
tibble or SQLite backed) that are being used by geospatial packages that
users can use too?  If so, can you please point me to it?  If not, would it
be worthwhile to have this consolidated list/dataframe, maybe as part of
data for one of the core geospatial packages?
Thanks in advance,
Vijay

Re: Consolidated SRS database/list?

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018, Vijay Lulla wrote:

> Dear list members,
> A few years ago Roger Bivand posted a discussion (
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2015-August/023204.html ) about
> consolidating SRS definitions into a SQLite database and I am wondering if
> there has been any development along those lines.

Rather than trying this just within R, we're hoping that the GDAL
barn-raising effort:

https://gdalbarn.com/

will take us there and further, and be much better than having a
non-standard implementation.

When that effort is done, we'll be open for ideas about interfacing it
through PROJ and GDAL, which now ship with CSV files that we copy into
Windows and MacOS binary packages (rgdal, sf, lwgeom).

For now, if it helps, rgdal::make_EPSG() reads the EPSG CSV file shipped
with PROJ into the R workspace as a data.frame.

Roger

http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140

Re: Consolidated SRS database/list?

Vijay Lulla
Ok, thanks!  While the page provided information about the project and its
funding status I couldn't find the SQLite database.  Do you happen to know
when this will be available?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:02 PM Roger Bivand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018, Vijay Lulla wrote:
>
> > Dear list members,
> > A few years ago Roger Bivand posted a discussion (
> > https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2015-August/023204.html ) about
> > consolidating SRS definitions into a SQLite database and I am wondering
> if
> > there has been any development along those lines.
>
> Rather than trying this just within R, we're hoping that the GDAL
> barn-raising effort:
>
> https://gdalbarn.com/
>
> will take us there and further, and be much better than having a
> non-standard implementation.
>
> When that effort is done, we'll be open for ideas about interfacing it
> through PROJ and GDAL, which now ship with CSV files that we copy into
> Windows and MacOS binary packages (rgdal, sf, lwgeom).
>
> For now, if it helps, rgdal::make_EPSG() reads the EPSG CSV file shipped
> with PROJ into the R workspace as a data.frame.
>
> Roger
>
> > Specifically, is there any consolidated collection of SRS definitions in
> > R (either a data.frame or tibble or SQLite backed) that are being used
> > by geospatial packages that users can use too?  If so, can you please
> > point me to it?  If not, would it be worthwhile to have this
> > consolidated list/dataframe, maybe as part of data for one of the core
> > geospatial packages? Thanks in advance, Vijay

> Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
> voice: +47 55 95 93 55; e-mail: [hidden email]
> http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140

Vijay Lulla

Assistant Professor,
Dept. of Geography, IUPUI
425 University Blvd, CA-207C.
Indianapolis, IN-46202
[hidden email]
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0823-2522
Webpage: http://vijaylulla.com

Re: Consolidated SRS database/list?

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018, Vijay Lulla wrote:

> Ok, thanks!  While the page provided information about the project and its
> funding status I couldn't find the SQLite database.  Do you happen to know
> when this will be available?

No more than is on that page, plus the time needed to re-write plenty of
sf, lwgeom, rgdal and sp. At that stage, contributions welcome!

Roger

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:02 PM Roger Bivand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018, Vijay Lulla wrote:
>>
>>> Dear list members,
>>> A few years ago Roger Bivand posted a discussion (
>>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2015-August/023204.html ) about
>>> consolidating SRS definitions into a SQLite database and I am wondering
>> if
>>> there has been any development along those lines.
>>
>> Rather than trying this just within R, we're hoping that the GDAL
>> barn-raising effort:
>>
>> https://gdalbarn.com/
>>
>> will take us there and further, and be much better than having a
>> non-standard implementation.
>>
>> When that effort is done, we'll be open for ideas about interfacing it
>> through PROJ and GDAL, which now ship with CSV files that we copy into
>> Windows and MacOS binary packages (rgdal, sf, lwgeom).
>>
>> For now, if it helps, rgdal::make_EPSG() reads the EPSG CSV file shipped
>> with PROJ into the R workspace as a data.frame.
>>
>> Roger
>>
>>> Specifically, is there any consolidated collection of SRS definitions in
>>> R (either a data.frame or tibble or SQLite backed) that are being used
>>> by geospatial packages that users can use too?  If so, can you please
>>> point me to it?  If not, would it be worthwhile to have this
>>> consolidated list/dataframe, maybe as part of data for one of the core
>>> geospatial packages? Thanks in advance, Vijay
>>>
>>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> Roger Bivand
>> Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics,
>> Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
>> voice: +47 55 95 93 55; e-mail: [hidden email]
>> http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140
>> https://scholar.google.no/citations?user=AWeghB0AAAAJ&hl=en

http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140

Re: Consolidated SRS database/list?

Alex Mandel-2
QGIS makes one
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/resources/srs.db
There's some script in the build that updates it also, not without issue:
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17993

I suppose you could also dump out how PostGIS does it to Sqlite, or use
the Spatialite metadata table.
https://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/spatialite-cookbook/html/metadata.html

But the thread mentioned that goes back to the MetaCRS mailing list is
probably the right place in the community to revive the discussion.

Seems like something to encourage, and a good topic for an OSGeo
sponsored sprint.

Thanks,
Alex

On 09/21/2018 12:32 AM, Roger Bivand wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Sep 2018, Vijay Lulla wrote:
>
>> Ok, thanks!  While the page provided information about the project and
>> its
>> funding status I couldn't find the SQLite database.  Do you happen to
>> know
>> when this will be available?
>
> No more than is on that page, plus the time needed to re-write plenty of
> sf, lwgeom, rgdal and sp. At that stage, contributions welcome!
>
> Roger

>>> if
>>>
>>> Rather than trying this just within R, we're hoping that the GDAL
>>> barn-raising effort:
>>>
>>> https://gdalbarn.com/
>>>
>>> will take us there and further, and be much better than having a
>>> non-standard implementation.
>>>
>>> When that effort is done, we'll be open for ideas about interfacing it
>>> through PROJ and GDAL, which now ship with CSV files that we copy into
>>> Windows and MacOS binary packages (rgdal, sf, lwgeom).
>>>
>>> For now, if it helps, rgdal::make_EPSG() reads the EPSG CSV file shipped
>>> with PROJ into the R workspace as a data.frame.
>>>
>>> Roger

>>> --
>>> Roger Bivand
>>> Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics,
>>> Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
>>> voice: +47 55 95 93 55; e-mail: [hidden email]
>>> http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140
>>> https://scholar.google.no/citations?user=AWeghB0AAAAJ&hl=en

Re: Consolidated SRS database/list?

Vijay Lulla
Alex,
Thanks for QGIS's srs.db!  I wasn't aware of it.

I currently use the spatial_ref_sys from PostGIS to create a SRS data frame
but plan to use rgdal::make_EPSG more often.  The reason I brought this up
is because on the lab computers (cannot install stuff on it) where I teach
there is no PostGIS and I didn't know how to lookup EPSG codes for various
SRS definitions from within R.  I hadn't thought of Spatialite metadata as
a viable alternative.  So, thanks for that.  I will look into it and most
likely use it in conjunction with make_EPSG!

Finally, I am really looking forward to the consolidated SRS database from
the gdal barn-raising effort!  This consolidated database will be
invaluable, and of great aid/service, to the geospatial community, IMO.
Thanks,
Vijay.

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 1:22 AM Alex Mandel <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> QGIS makes one
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/resources/srs.db
> There's some script in the build that updates it also, not without issue:
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17993
>
> I suppose you could also dump out how PostGIS does it to Sqlite, or use
> the Spatialite metadata table.
> https://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/spatialite-cookbook/html/metadata.html
>
> But the thread mentioned that goes back to the MetaCRS mailing list is
> probably the right place in the community to revive the discussion.
>
> Seems like something to encourage, and a good topic for an OSGeo
> sponsored sprint.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> On 09/21/2018 12:32 AM, Roger Bivand wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Sep 2018, Vijay Lulla wrote:
> >
> >> Ok, thanks!  While the page provided information about the project and
> >> its
> >> funding status I couldn't find the SQLite database.  Do you happen to
> >> know
> >> when this will be available?
> >
> > No more than is on that page, plus the time needed to re-write plenty of
> > sf, lwgeom, rgdal and sp. At that stage, contributions welcome!
> >
> > Roger

> wondering

> shipped

--
Vijay Lulla

Assistant Professor,
Dept. of Geography, IUPUI
425 University Blvd, CA-207C.
Indianapolis, IN-46202
[hidden email]
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0823-2522
Webpage: http://vijaylulla.com

Re: Consolidated SRS database/list?

Alex Mandel-2
Though it requires Internet what about hitting the epsg.io API described
on https://github.com/klokantech/epsg.io

Thanks,
Alex

On 09/22/2018 05:23 AM, Vijay Lulla wrote:

> Alex,
> Thanks for QGIS's srs.db!  I wasn't aware of it.
>
> I currently use the spatial_ref_sys from PostGIS to create a SRS data frame
> but plan to use rgdal::make_EPSG more often.  The reason I brought this up
> is because on the lab computers (cannot install stuff on it) where I teach
> there is no PostGIS and I didn't know how to lookup EPSG codes for various
> SRS definitions from within R.  I hadn't thought of Spatialite metadata as
> a viable alternative.  So, thanks for that.  I will look into it and most
> likely use it in conjunction with make_EPSG!
>
> Finally, I am really looking forward to the consolidated SRS database from
> the gdal barn-raising effort!  This consolidated database will be
> invaluable, and of great aid/service, to the geospatial community, IMO.
> Thanks,
> Vijay.
>
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 1:22 AM Alex Mandel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> QGIS makes one
>> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/resources/srs.db
>> There's some script in the build that updates it also, not without issue:
>> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17993
>>
>> I suppose you could also dump out how PostGIS does it to Sqlite, or use
>> the Spatialite metadata table.
>> https://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/spatialite-cookbook/html/metadata.html
>>
>> But the thread mentioned that goes back to the MetaCRS mailing list is
>> probably the right place in the community to revive the discussion.
>>
>> Seems like something to encourage, and a good topic for an OSGeo
>> sponsored sprint.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex

>>> No more than is on that page, plus the time needed to re-write plenty of
>>> sf, lwgeom, rgdal and sp. At that stage, contributions welcome!
>>>
>>> Roger

>> wondering

>> shipped

Re: Consolidated SRS database/list?

This blog:

https://erouault.blogspot.com/2018/09/srs-barn-raising-4th-report.html

gives the status on the proposed generic db to ship with PROJ and be used
by software using PROJ.

Roger