Can we fit SAR/CAR model for geostatistical data

Can we fit SAR/CAR model for geostatistical data

Bedilu Ejigu
 Could it be reasonable to analyze a geostatistical data  using spatial
autoregreesive models (i.e. SAR and CAR) by treating the geostatistical
data as it was observed on a discrete indexing set instead of continuous
indexing set?

Re: Can we fit SAR/CAR model for geostatistical data

I don't think this is a productive avenue, as geostatistics is mostly
about prediction, but SAR/CAR are mostly about mitigating
mis-specification problems in inference from covariates. This means that
prediction say from SAR/CAR fitted models is less well understood, for SAR
see for example Michel Goulard, Thibault Laurent & Christine Thomas-Agnan,
2017 \emph{About predictions in spatial autoregressive models: optimal and
almost optimal strategies},  Spatial Economic Analysis Volume 12, Issue
2--3, 304--325 https://doi.org/10.1080/17421772.2017.1300679.

However, INLA (and others) use GMRF in building prediction models, so the
lattice (mesh) may play a role. See for example:

https://becarioprecario.bitbucket.io/spde-gitbook/
http://www.r-inla.org/spde-book

Hope this helps,

Roger