CAR spatial model functions?

Brian Aukema
At 15 Aug 2004 14:43:35 +0200 (CEST), Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:

 > There was a question (as the original questioner noted) on the list some
months ago
 > about CAR by ML (essentially doing what S-Plus SpatialStats does)? Is
this a general
 > need? Should spdep do it (I've kept away from it because spdep was not
intended to
 > duplicate things already available in some implementation of S, rather
to complement)?
 > Has anybody any code that could be polished?

Thanks to the list for the suggestions to implement CAR models with
WinBUGS.  I would
love to see spdep include implementations of CAR via ML in the future, even
though S-Plus
has similar capabilities.  R has a much better price, especially when being
used as a
teaching tool.

Brian Aukema

Brian Aukema, PhD
Visiting Fellow, Canadian For. Service Pacific Forestry Centre
506 West Burnside Road
Victoria, British Columbia
V8Z 1M5

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Brian Aukema wrote:

> At 15 Aug 2004 14:43:35 +0200 (CEST), Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
>
>  > There was a question (as the original questioner noted) on the list some
> months ago
>  > about CAR by ML (essentially doing what S-Plus SpatialStats does)? Is
> this a general
>  > need? Should spdep do it (I've kept away from it because spdep was not
> intended to
>  > duplicate things already available in some implementation of S, rather
> to complement)?
>  > Has anybody any code that could be polished?
>
> Thanks to the list for the suggestions to implement CAR models with
> WinBUGS.  I would
> love to see spdep include implementations of CAR via ML in the future, even
> though S-Plus
> has similar capabilities.  R has a much better price, especially when being
> used as a
> teaching tool.

Does anyone have a well-documented data set and weights matrix for which
authoritative results of CAR estimation exist - preferably for a single
spatial parameter - that they would be willing to make available for
trying this out?

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no