CAR spatial model functions?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CAR spatial model functions?

Brian Aukema
Hello, are there any current R functions for fitting CAR spatial models?  I
realize there was a similar post a few months ago.  Thanks in advance!


Brian Aukema, PhD
Visiting Fellow, Canadian For. Service Pacific Forestry Centre
506 West Burnside Road
Victoria, British Columbia
V8Z 1M5



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CAR spatial model functions?

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
Brian

One possibility is to install winbugs (and you don't need windows to do
so: you can install it in Linux with wine)
and use the package rbugs

winbugs implements CAR models

best
P.J.



On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Brian Aukema wrote:

> Hello, are there any current R functions for fitting CAR spatial models?  I
> realize there was a similar post a few months ago.  Thanks in advance!
>
>
> Brian Aukema, PhD
> Visiting Fellow, Canadian For. Service Pacific Forestry Centre
> 506 West Burnside Road
> Victoria, British Columbia
> V8Z 1M5
>
> _______________________________________________
> R-sig-Geo mailing list
> R-sig-Geo at stat.math.ethz.ch
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-geo
>
>

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
Departamento de Estat?stica
Universidade Federal do Paran?
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990
Curitiba, PR  -  Brasil
Tel: (+55) 41 361 3573
Fax: (+55) 41 361 3141
e-mail: paulojus at est.ufpr.br
http://www.est.ufpr.br/~paulojus

 /"\
 \ /  Campanha da fita ASCII - contra mail html
  X   ASCII ribbon campaign - against html mail
 / \



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CAR spatial model functions?

Barry Rowlingson
Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr wrote:

> One possibility is to install winbugs (and you don't need windows to do
> so: you can install it in Linux with wine)
> and use the package rbugs

  I tried mucking about with WinBUGS under Wine on Linux earlier this
year. Disaster.

  There were problems with some dialogs not working - this seems to be a
known problem with applications using the toolkit that WinBUGS uses
under Wine.

  Worse still, some of the examples didn't work. There was something
really bad going on, something like rnorm() returning 0 for any value of
mean or sd. Who knows what else could have been going wrong that wasn't
as noticable?

  If there's a proper test suite for WinBUGS now then run it - several
times - if you want to think about using it under Wine.

Baz



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

CAR spatial model functions?

Roger Bivand
Administrator
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Baz wrote:

> Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr wrote:
>
> > One possibility is to install winbugs (and you don't need windows to do
> > so: you can install it in Linux with wine)
> > and use the package rbugs
>
>   I tried mucking about with WinBUGS under Wine on Linux earlier this
> year. Disaster.
>

Thanks, this is very useful - though rbugs claims to be able to work with
wine - does anyone have less negative experience with wine? The other R
package (R2WinBUGS) looks Windows-centric. Returning to CAR models, has
anyone written code for exporting neighbour lists from spdep in GeoBUGS
format (that could be included in spdep, or in a separate package
depending on spdep and rbugs and/or R2WinBUGS)?

There was a question (as the original questioner noted) on the list some
months ago about CAR by ML (essentially doing what S-Plus SpatialStats
does)? Is this a general need? Should spdep do it (I've kept away from it
because spdep was not intended to duplicate things already available in
some implementation of S, rather to complement)? Has anybody any code that
could be polished?

Roger

>   There were problems with some dialogs not working - this seems to be a
> known problem with applications using the toolkit that WinBUGS uses
> under Wine.
>
>   Worse still, some of the examples didn't work. There was something
> really bad going on, something like rnorm() returning 0 for any value of
> mean or sd. Who knows what else could have been going wrong that wasn't
> as noticable?
>
>   If there's a proper test suite for WinBUGS now then run it - several
> times - if you want to think about using it under Wine.
>
> Baz
>
> _______________________________________________
> R-sig-Geo mailing list
> R-sig-Geo at stat.math.ethz.ch
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-geo
>

--
Roger Bivand
Economic Geography Section, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of
Economics and Business Administration, Breiviksveien 40, N-5045 Bergen,
Norway. voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 93 93
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no



Roger Bivand
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway