A practical guide to geostatistical mapping

A practical guide to geostatistical mapping

Rich Shepard
   Received my printed copy of Tom Hengl's book yesterday. The web site has
one page noting it was recently modified, but the most recent material I
find there is from 2011. And some of the links on the data and R code tabs
are broken.

   Have there been additions or changes to the book since then? Is this still
an active project?

   I'm finding this a great addition to Goovaert's book which I read a long
time ago and still reference.

Rich

Re: A practical guide to geostatistical mapping

Tomislav Hengl-5

Dear Rich,

I am working on a rmarkdown update of the practical guide to GM (the
working title is "A practical guide to spatial prediction with R"). As
soon as I clean up these reports on my desk I will get on it (in about 2
months should be online). My apologies to you and all other users for
untidy website / my tardiness.

In the meantime you might also find this useful:

https://envirometrix.github.io/PredictiveSoilMapping/

BR,

--
T. (Tom) Hengl
https://envirometrix.net/staff/tomislav-hengl

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018, Tomislav Hengl wrote:

> I am working on a rmarkdown update of the practical guide to GM (the
> working title is "A practical guide to spatial prediction with R"). As
> soon as I clean up these reports on my desk I will get on it (in about 2
> months should be online). My apologies to you and all other users for
> untidy website / my tardiness.

Tom,

   This is excellent news!

   I sent you a message yesterday at the e-mail address on the web site only
to have it bounce as 'user known in this domain.'

> In the meantime you might also find this useful:
> https://envirometrix.github.io/PredictiveSoilMapping/

   Thank you.

   I don't know if r-sig-geo is an appropriate forum for my questions that
are not specific to applying R packages, but to geostatistics themselves. If
not, I'd appreciate a pointer to a more appropriate place.

   One thing I've noticed in my readings about geostatistics is that (quite
appropriately) most are research oriented and written by academic
geostatisticians and ecologists. My work as an environmental science
consultant, an applied aqutic ecologist who left academia for the private
sector several decades ago, means that all data available to me are
generated by regulatory requirements, not by the needs for a research
project. And, the overwhelming number involve aquatic chemistry (and biota
such as fish) which adds the constant movement of the medium into
consideration.

   This makes it difficult for me to translate examples such as the Meuse
example in Chapter 5 to my projects. Currently I'm looking at mercury
concentrations in a river system and the sampling locations have an
intereesting pattern of clumps on the mainstem by major tributaries and are
otherwise quite dispersed. As a non-mathemtical statistician I've currently
no idea how to conduct exploratory analyses on such data. And, there's the
temporal aspct to be considered, too.

   I've much to learn because there's a real need for the application of
spatio-temporal statistics in regulatory environmental science instead of
the deterministic, differential equation models currently demanded by
regulators.

Best regards,

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

> My work as an environmental science consultant, ... means that all data
> available to me are generated by regulatory requirements, not by the needs
> for a research project. And, the overwhelming number involve aquatic
> chemistry (and biota such as fish) which adds the constant movement of the
> medium into consideration.

   I did two web searches this morning, one for 'aquatic geochemistry' the
other for 'water quality geochemistry'. They both returned many hits on
soils and ground waters, but only two related to surface waters.

   There is a need to improve on this.

   If anyone knows of documentation relevant to surface water quality,
particularly flowing waters, please point me to them.

Regards,

Rich

Re: A practical guide to geostatistical mapping

Sarah Goslee
Assuming you're looking for relevant R information, it seems like
packages such as EGRET, dbhydroR, waterData, and RSAlgaeR are
potentially relevant. My lab uses R extensively, including EGRET and
in-house code.

There's a lot of information out there, including case studies:

Try a search for water quality on the incredibly useful rseek.org

Most research uses the same data sources you bemoan - we sometimes
have our own data, but largely rely on USGS etc.

Sarah

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:03 AM Rich Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> > My work as an environmental science consultant, ... means that all data
> > available to me are generated by regulatory requirements, not by the needs
> > for a research project. And, the overwhelming number involve aquatic
> > chemistry (and biota such as fish) which adds the constant movement of the
> > medium into consideration.
>
>    I did two web searches this morning, one for 'aquatic geochemistry' the
> other for 'water quality geochemistry'. They both returned many hits on
> soils and ground waters, but only two related to surface waters.
>
>    There is a need to improve on this.
>
>    If anyone knows of documentation relevant to surface water quality,
> particularly flowing waters, please point me to them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

On Fri, 31 Aug 2018, Sarah Goslee wrote:

> Assuming you're looking for relevant R information, it seems like packages
> such as EGRET, dbhydroR, waterData, and RSAlgaeR are potentially relevant.
> My lab uses R extensively, including EGRET and in-house code.
>
> There's a lot of information out there, including case studies:
> Try a search for water quality on the incredibly useful rseek.org
>
> Most research uses the same data sources you bemoan - we sometimes have
> our own data, but largely rely on USGS etc.

Sarah,

   Thanks very much for the pointers!

   Good thing there's a long weekend coming: I have a lot of R reading to do
in addition to other put-off tasks. :-)

Best regards,

Rich